+11 win teams in the playoffs

We could have 5 of the 6 NFC teams with 11-13 wins after Sunday.

When was the last time this happened for either conference?

Crazy

2 Likes

This is what parity looks like in today’s NFL.

2 Likes

It happened in the NFC in 2017, 2009 and the AFC in 2013, 2008

3 Likes

Four times in ten yrs… wow

Thank you for doing the hard work brother!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the continuing age of NFL glamour teams and fantasy football and legalized gambling. Could simply be a statistical anomaly but I find it so interesting that it didn’t happen at all during the 16 game schedule once until 2008 but now including this year will happen five to six times since 2008. I’m sitting at the Cancer Care Center with my wife so don’t have a chance to really look up the details but I’m curious how many of those teams are the same teams over and over

3 Likes

This time is especially interesting, because we are a couple of wins away from having 5 teams with 11 wins in the AFC (Bills and Texans sit at 10-5). So we’d have 10 out of 12 teams in the playoffs with 11+ wins. That’s definitely strange.

Exactly what I was thinking. The chosen teams going to the SB, while teams like ours are the “bad guys” in the WWF. We’re merely the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters. Nobody cares what happens to us. People are paying to see Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, etc.

Garbage. I expect it to continue this direction, and if it does, I’ll quit watching. They’ve already crossed my ethical/moral threshold. My tolerance for bullshit can’t hold up much more. I quit NBA cold turkey. This will be more painful than that, if it comes to that. I seriously love my Lions. If It gets to that point, I’ll probably be better in other areas of my life. LOL I spend a lot of time on this stuff.

5 Likes

He was asking about the last time it had happened, and I stopped looking at 2008.

In 2005 there were 5 teams in the AFC and 5 teams in the NFC that all had 11+ wins.

The NFC had 5 teams with 11+ wins in 2001. The AFC had 5 teams with 11+ wins in 2000. The 1999 season didn’t have 5 teams with that many wins, but it had 4 teams with 13+ wins (3 of them in the AFC). In 1992 the NFC had 5 teams with 11+ wins. In 1991 the NFC had 5 teams with 11+ wins, but what is extra unusual is that 8 teams in the NFC had 10 or more wins. There were only 14 teams in the NFC back then, so only 6 teams fell short of 10 wins. Which also means two 10-6 teams didn’t make the playoffs that year. In 1989 only ONE team in the AFC had double digit wins, the 11-5 Broncos. The Bills won the AFC East at 9-7 and the Browns won the AFC Central at 9-6-1. At the same time the NFC had 7 teams with double digit wins and the 10-6 Redskins and 10-6 Packers didn’t make the playoffs.

That’s as far as I’m going to go back right now.

My underlying dig was hit already… that there is not the true balance they say there is.

But I really really the digging up of the stats…

I’ve said recently that the idea that the league has parity and any team can come out of nowhere and win a championship is kind of a myth. If you look back, its the same teams going to the Super Bowl over and over again. There were a few we thought were good examples of teams coming out of nowhere, but even those teams are starting to go back to more Super Bowls. In what I consider the modern football era, there have only been 2 real anomally’s…the Cardinals and the Chargers. The rest can kind of be explain by either repeatedly being in the big game or a compelling storyline that might have gave them the edge they needed.

3 Likes

Its really weird how the Saints have been screwed repeatedly after making their post Katrina rise.

Its like they said that Superbowl was enough you guys are too poor and small to win multiples.

2 Likes

Well, the whole headhunting thing may have played into it some?

It’s evolving too. Every single time they make a new rule, it equals more officiating involvement (power).

1 Like

Ben Wallace is one of my all time favorites. I stopped watching the NBA 2 years ago and haven’t missed it at all. I’m w you on the NFL. I never used to believe I could go without pro and college sports…that’s changing fast. We’ll se if Stevie can turn things around w the wings.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate that

1 Like

I’m on vacation to Detroit Westland area and my laptop is at home in OKC

1 Like

I wish you and your wife all the best, brother. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I haven’t watched NBA since a couple of years after the Pistons won their last title. I really don’t miss it. I haven’t even watched NBA playoffs. I used to watch literally every Pistons game, attend all of the home games, and watch every playoff game (especially before I had season tix). Crazy that I don’t even miss it

2 Likes

More to the point, “control”.

2 Likes

We called it as soon as they put the new pass interference replay rule in place. The Packers would benefit from it. Sure as chit, they are one of the only teams that have benefitted from the new rule.

5 Likes