2017 Draft Redux—Golladay a top 10 pick

Quinn has only been here 4 years, so it would be hard to see too many drafts where the entire class is gone after 3 or 4 years, just saying.

The 2017 draft isn’t stellar, Golladay is the saving grace there but outside of him:
Jarrad Davis - jury is still out on him
Teez Tabor
Jalen Reeves Maybin
Michael Roberts
Jamal Agnew
Jeremiah Lebetter
Brad Kaaya
Pat O’Connor

1 Like

I don’t really think the jury is still out on Davis, in terms of simplistic ways to evaluate draft classes. He’s a legit starter in this league. All we are really debating is how good and how consistent he can be. Years ago when I was studying every draft for every team in detail, I noticed that if you could get 2 legit starters out of a draft, it put you in the top half of the league. If you could do it consistently, it elevated your standing as a GM. Quinn nailed 2 legit starters in that draft.

Idk, 2 legit starters seems to be low due to players lost every year to free agency, retirement, injury, etc. Obviously you can get some guys in free agency yourself but if you’re looking to build through your draft, 2 sounds like a low number to me.

As for Davis, I think he’s lucky that Patricia came along. I think Patricia is getting the most out of him that he can but if it wasn’t for Patricia’s defense I think most of us would probably think he was a bust or borderline bust at this point. Even though he seems to have gotten better last year, he was 38th in the league in tackles, his 6 sacks barely puts him in the top 20 of LB’s.

Legit starter is kind of a loose term, Paris Lenon was a legit starter too.

1 Like

Don’t you read the board? Every guy on here who underachieves does it because he’s on the Lions and the organization can’t develop the player correctly. Had Teez been drafted by the Saints and Kamara the Lions, Kamara would be playing special teams and Teez would have been all pro last season.

Decker
Robinson
Glasgow
Davis
Tabor
Golladay
Ragnow
Johnson
Walker
Hockenson
Tavai
Harris

BQ has done very well in the early rounds IMO, Tabor was a huge miss but almost everyone else is contributing to the team this year.

Compare with Mayhew’s last four drafts:

Rieff
Broyles
Bentley
Ansah
Slay
Warford
Ebron
Van Noy
Swanson
Tomlinson
Abdullah
Carter

BQ is doing a good job.

1 Like

He may have ran that fast in shorts, but he doesn’t play that fast in pads

1 Like

If Mayhew is your bench mark, your standards are pretty low. But comparing drafts, it’s not exactly a landslide in favor of Quinn. Isn’t Tomlinson still in the league and starting for the 49ers? I count 8 players there that at one point were at the very least solid starters. Obviously it’s too early to judge the latest draft class, but I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to Hockenson and Tavai and give Quinn 10 solid starters. So yes, Quinn isn’t horrible, but I would still like to see better.

1 Like

Mayhew was a mediocre GM. I realize Lions fans are used to being able to put everyone in categories of good or terrible, but Mayhew truly fell somewhere inbetween.

Quin seems to be better at drafting but Mayhew brought-in more talent via trades and free agency.
It’s actually probably closer than people want to believe between the two.
The Teez pick is really the black-eye on Quin’s drafting and brings him much closer to Mayhew in terms of bringing in talent.

I understand what you’re saying.

I know I’m cherry picking but I’m thinking specifically the 2011 draft, the only player left in 2014 was Nick Fairley and then he was gone in 2015.

I’ve never seen anything like it…post Millen years I should say

I don’t know about the FA/trades either. Snacks for a 5th? What’s the comparo to that from Mayhew? Spending 8M on an over the hill Ngata in a desperation move after you lose both Suh and Fairley in consecutive years?

Snacks
Marvin Jones Jr.
T.J. Lang
Wagner (not living up to it, but at the time was a sought after RT)
Tre Flowers (top FA DE)
Coleman (top slot CB)
Kennard
Okwara
James
Melvin
Re-signed Stafford, Slay, Harrison and Prater.

That’s a pretty good haul in the time frame Quinn has had. These guys all are (or were in Lang’s case, starters). I think Quinn has been demonstrably better than Mayhew in all facets of player acquisitions and especially salary cap management.

1 Like

Mayhew wasn’t exactly chopped liver in player acquisitions. One of the things about Mayhew’s pickups though, is many of them were short lived assets. And once they flamed out, that’s all people remember about them.

I wish Quinn could find a way to flip a low round pick for another Shaun Hill type.

Stafford
Pettigrew
Delmas
Sammie Lee Hill
Suh
Best
Willie Young
Fairley
Reiff
Whitehead
Ansah
Slay
Warford
Sam Martin
Theo Riddick
Kyle Van Noy

Free agents or trades (there might be more than I’m not remembering)
Justin Durant
Stephen Tulloch
Dre Bly
Chris Houston
Reggie Bush
Jason Jones
Glover Quinn
Golden Tate

IDK if he is a true #1 WR.

He doesn’t have the blazing speed and he doesn’t get much separation. He’s lucky to have a QB who can fire bullets into tiny windows. Not many QB’s can.