7 minutes of Matt Patricia, Cory Undlin mic’d up at Senior Bowl

7 Likes

“You are moving like a bunch of cows out there!”!!

:crazy_face:

1 Like

That was good. Patricia looks like he enjoys coaching.

3 Likes

And he seems to know how to relate to players, so it seems they enjoy him too. That was his rep coming from NE, hopefully winning cures everything and soon.

4 Likes

That’s just because he’s a NFL Head Coach, coaching college kids. To vets he’s an overweight guy who preaches conditioning, and is just trying to be Bill Belichick. Vets see right through that crap. As a head coach he’s done nothing in a league where respect is earned. I wanted the Lions to sign Patricia a year earlier than they did and was elated when they signed him. I was expecting Matt Patricia, a defensive genius, a guy who’s gonna put together a defense with exotic looks and blitzes. Hopefully this is the year it all comes together and Patricia becomes the Patricia I envisioned. Like you said, winning cures all.

3 Likes

So his defense in NE didnt earn him any respect? Pretty sure there are some players that would disagree with you.

3 Likes

Glad to see they were harping on defensive PI and holding. I sometimes wonder if they actually teach that crap since our secondary always seem to have a difficult time turning their head around or they hold.

Good stuff from my view. I have my concerns with the scheme as employed. I think they have also put the wrong guys in the game at times, like making Tavai cover the RB on 3rd and 26 with JRM and Killebrew at his disposal. He’s a high energy guy. That rubs some people the wrong way. I can vouch for that in my professional career. I still have hope that with a good offseason haul and some things tipping our way here and there, we can be right in the thick of things.

2 Likes

100% total conjecture on your part and zero facts.

3 Likes

Yeah this is off…Some of the best instructors and Coaches do not practice what they the preach , never played the game they Coach & conditioning is a mute point either because they can’t, never have or they do not have to, or the want to … It’s only relevant in a situation when the Coach must do what the players do on the field …being that is not the case ever…it’s irrelevant. It 's the same with the nonsense and Patricia being late for meetings with players . Patricia has never been late to a meeting , the meeting starts when he arrives it’s the only way it should be viewed and that players obviously bitched about it shows the culture change that was needed.

1 Like

Take it for what it’s worth but … From what I’ve been told he is liked as a person. He commands respect (to a fault) but players do questions his methods and he doesn’t take criticism well. We’ve actually seen several Lions players in the media question our defensive scheme.

It is hard to change a culture and to get players to fully buy in. MP is struggling with that and I think his lack of experience as a HC shows. I think that’s why he brings in a lot of Former NE players. They help to set the standards and expectations.

2 Likes

I think every coaching group teaches everything we could imagine
Not sure why some have more success than others
Luck??

Agree with everything you said. I guess the questions that will be answered this year are 1) can he take criticism at all and 2) can he adjust. It sounds like he is trying to adjust and grow from his mistakes…but i wonder if it will be enough?

1 Like

Well put

1 Like

I wonder if it’s too little too late. Meaning that he’s already started losing the locker room. Can he regain their trust and get them back on course.

I think this year is a pivotal year for MP. He either rights the ship or it sinks.

1 Like

Agreed. I really can see why many people think it is going to fail.

I’m normally optimistic but this staff has drained my enthusiasm.

1 Like

As I have mentioned before, you are and it has made me reconsider my normally optimistic outlook. Why can’t we have nice things!?:joy:

1 Like