Al Kaline, dies at 85

I listened to every game. I watched the ones they showed on TV. I carried my transisor radio to school to listen. The school showed the games on TV. I kept score on score sheets I made up from the ones in the program from the stadium.

2 Likes

I took my transistor radio to bed when they were playing night games.

I remember they threw at Willie Horton, twice, then he brushed himself off and blasted a homerun. Cash clearing the roof, McAuliff taking second base on singles when the outfielders threw the ball by lobbing it in. I remember guys trying to hold Horton back when they hit him and Horton peeling guys off of him while stalking the pitcher. I remember Cash coming up to bat with a table leg against Nolan Ryan.

1 Like

My most memorable moments from baseball are:
How much it irritated me when the A-Team was bumped for a stupid Tiger’s game. :slight_smile:
True.

2 Likes

Northrup was hitting grand slams that Year, I think he had 4 or 5 that Year plus one in WS game 6, I think, the game they blew the Cardinals out, McLains only win.

:rofl:

1 Like

True story. What a card, Norm would have been awesome to have as a team mate.

He had 2 grand slams in one game…

1 Like

Yup. Good call.

1 Like

Hall of Fame Eddie Mathews. At the time he was very high on the all time home run list…over 500

And Earl Wilson and Joe Sparma were the forgotten 3 and 4 starters. Wilson had a lower ERA than Lolich.
I think that;s when McAuliffe separated John’s shoulder. John was the instigator, McAuliffe was walking down the line to first!
https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2015/04/08/the-night-dick-mcauliffe-separated-tommy-johns-shoulder/
Kaline and McLain - my boyhood idols

1 Like

Kaline and Cash were my two favorites on that team.
Went to school with some of Northrup’s cousins. He was from right here in mid Michigan.
Our school played the radio broadcasts over the PA system. Pretty awesome, everybody rooting for that comeback win in the series.

1 Like

I modeled my Swing based on Kaline as a kid…Sunday Doubleheaders & Twi-Nighters were NOT to be missed attending whenever possible. No One Ran on Al !!! What an Arm !! The 60’s as a Kid were a Great Time to grow up in Detroit. Tigers, Lions, & Wings were ALL very Good. Lucky enough to attend a WS Game in 1968. Sat in Left Field (Lower). Tigers were blasted 10-1 in the Rain, Gibson over McLain…Tigers WON the Next 3 Games to WIN the Series !!..MY FAVORITE TIGER…RIP Al

2 Likes

Mickey Stanley make a diving catch in deep center, back to plate, then wheeling around to double a White Sox runner at 2nd, with his torn britches falling off. Kaline’s throws from right field corner to 3rd, on a line, to nail a runner.
I was at the game when Sparma pitched the pennant clincher, and joined others storming field. I enjoyed that '68 team more than '84 Bless You Boys, probably 'cause I was still living there. Beating Gibson helped,too.
RIP Mr. Tiger, Mr. Class

1 Like

Favorite story was when he was offered $200,000 by the Tigers. He said no $100,000 to play the game I love is plenty! GM Jim Campbell offered it when Kaline stopped in to wish people Merry Christmas. He was shocked!

Guys in that era played for the love of the game. Can you imagine what guys like Kaline, Yastrzemski or Brooks Robinson would get today?

1 Like

Always cherished my Al Kaline engraved Bat…Today, a Bat in China would have to be engraved Wuhan !!!

1 Like

I used to try to emulate McAuliffe’s god awful stance and swing as a youngster. A great singles hitter.

2 Likes

RIP Mr. Tiger

1 Like

I was too young to see Kaline play. But when I was about 10 or so, my dad knew someone who worked in Tigers Stadium. They let us go up to the area outside of where the broadcasters came out after a game. Al Kaline came by me and I froze and didn’t say anything and he walked by to sign some stuff for other kids. Ernie Harwell comes right behind him and I hand out my ball and pen and Ernie signs it and says “how come you didn’t get his autograph?” I shrugged and Ernie yells over to Al and tell him to sign my ball as well. Al signs my baseball and says to me, “Kid, if you want something, all you gotta do is ask for it.” Hands me back my ball and they both left. Never forgot that.

6 Likes

Awesome story!

Obviously Kaline was loved
So many recollections in this thread
Nice to read through

1 Like