Birkett with a good take on stafford, the game and patricia

We do live and die by Stafford’s arm.

Per Kurt Warner:
“He’s as talented as anybody in this league,” said Warner, now an analyst with NFL Network. “He’s a gifted, gifted thrower. I expect him to play well. The one thing that I’ve always felt with Matthew is just that, A, he’s been asked to do so much for that organization. He’s been asked to have to play at a certain level every single week, every single year (if) they’re going to be successful, and I think a big part in that is that he feels like he’s got to make every play. And so he can have great stretches, but ultimately that comes back to haunt any quarterback, no matter how talented you are, if you feel like you have to make every single play for your team.”

Birkett:
That’s what I saw from Stafford against the Bears: A quarterback who played really good football for 3½ quarters but still found his team on the precipice of losing. He had a running game, which he hasn’t for so long, but his No. 1 receiver (Golladay) was out with a hamstring injury and his defense was starting to crack, so he took a sack when he shouldn’t have, hoping to make a play, then tried to squeeze a pass into a tiny window between two defenders.

3 Likes

This game is disappointing because I really feel like the Lions should have blown out the Bears.

Season ain’t over, but the ball has to start bouncing their way. Or should I say they need to start making the ball bounce their way…

5 Likes

Stafford is good enough to drag this bad defense and atrocious coach to a season hovering around .500.

5 Likes

He saw 3 1/2 quarters of good football out of Stafford? I saw 3 1/2 good drives. Though you can probably blame some of that on playcalls

5 Likes

He needs to go to the steelers and have a epic final 5-6 seasons.

3 Likes

They want to play man. Harder to do with 3rd stringers.

The thing that I don’t get about Quinn/Patricia is their absolute refusal to bring in a pass rusher.

5 Likes

It is pretty tough to blame Stafford for anything at this point. There is no QB in the world that would be a winning QB with Matt Patricia as the HC.

8 Likes

It’s only one game but it says a lot about this team. Trufant was Slays replacement and looked absolutely horrible. Amani was not good. Harris should not see as many snaps as he does. Tavai was regularly washed out of the play. Davis and Jones still can’t cover. DT still looks thin. Hand looks slower. Patricia’s D is still so predictable it’s pathetic. The Lions will have a hard time winning 6 games with this defense and that’s if Stafford can stay healthy.

2 Likes

This is infuriating

Snacks - got lazy
Daniels - got injured
Hand - impersonated Daniels
Bryant - follows the lead

Shiiiiiiiit!!!

Agreed w/you, and the article. This is brutal. Bevell will get us 8 or 9 wins, likely. Hoping not just enough to keep this system in place. To me, it’s the system and philosophy that sucks far worse than the talent.

2 Likes

I think the offensive line played pretty well for the most part. I was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

This is what the Bears beat writer said about why Trubisky has so much success against the Lions. It’s also the reason why I am off of the Patricia wagon. His words when he came to Detroit, is that the Lions defense would be multiple, focus on taking away opponents strengths and be customized every week depending on the opponent. After 4 games, it was clear to even beat writers that Trubisky plays well against man and struggles against zone. Patricia then goes to man defense, and watches Trubisky destroy the defense over and again.

Instead of making teams play against their strengths, he is feeding right into it. He is done as an HC after this season.

1 Like

Mahomes would’ve won that game. Watson would’ve won that game. Rodgers would’ve won that game.

Man coverage, while also down 3 starting CB’s in the 4th qtr, (if you consider Okudah good enough to play, which he should be if healthy), 17 pt lead, not generating any pass rush by using blitzes or any different looks…dude, MAAAATT, you have practice squad CB’s out there on a fucking island, w no pass rush. How in the fuck does he not tell his Dcoord to change it up to a zone, and maybe bring some blitz heat to Mitch?! I cant take this man as a HC, he’s an absolute arrogant disaster.

2 Likes

The people who STILL don’t get that Matthew Stafford is part of the reason for all of this used to be amusing to those of who get it.

Now it’s just kind of annoying. Another impediment to success that must be overcome.

2 Likes

Wait until next week when the Lions don’t generate any pass rush and allow Rodgers to throw against a bunch of CBs that are lucky to be in the NFL.

And here I was thinking only BQ and MP suffered from “smartest man in the room syndrome”

You don’t have to be the smartest man in the room to know that Captain 11 Years, Mr. Postgame Rain Man is part of the lack-of-winning problem.

1 Like

Stafford did win the game. His rookie runningback did not.

14 Likes