Buy or Sell: Matthew Stafford is Better than Kirk Cousins

For the past few years, I have labeled Stafford, Dalton and Cousins as basically clones. I think Stafford has more god given talent than the other two though. If it’s a huge game with everything on the line, I am not sure who I would pick between MS and KC.

1 Like

I agree! I can’t for the season. No more excuses

2 Likes

I’ve always found Cousins to be underrated and Dalton overrated.
I’d say that Cousins and Stafford have had better careers than Dalton, Cousins more consistent, Stafford better peaks.
Stafford is better than both of them when he’s on his A game by a significant margin but the lack of consistency kills him. Frustrating because he’s a top 5 level QB when he’s on.

2 Likes

I just know that if there is under 2 minutes in the game and 80 yards to go I will take Stafford over those two every time

8 Likes

I would take Stafford over Cousins. If you are just looking at stats, then Cousins is head and shoulders above Stafford in completion and rating.
I don’t think either are in the top tier of QBs but Stafford can up his game occasionally to that top tier. I have never been impressed with Cousins.

1 Like

Can’t take that question seriously.

Top tier QBs win playoff games. Top tier QBs take their teams to SBs. Sorry, but you want to believe there is one exception in the history of the game for that.
Let me know who the other top tier QBs are who have never won multiple playoff games or played in the SB or even just championship games.
I still prefer Stafford’s natural ability and talent a lot more than Cousins. Stafford was or was very close to a top tier talent under Caldwell but Quinn decided he needed to bring in his buddy who turned the Lions into a bottom 5 teams again.

1 Like

Stafford is far and away better than Kirk Cousins. Trade them for each other straight up and which team gets better? Minnesota hands down. Cousins doesn’t have the ability to throw for 5000+ yards and 40+ tds a season. The only reason people see Stafford the way they do is because he plays for the Detroit Lions.

9 Likes

Top QB’s that win a PO game don’t have a the 32nd defense in the league

7 Likes

A season? Or in any season? The ability? You cherry picked one really good season and forgot the rest. Not 1 single season with a 100 rating. By the way, every starting QB in the NFL has the “ability” to chuck up meaningless numbers. Stafford did that once, a long time ago… also, let me leave you with this…

Jameis Winson 2019 - 5109 yards, 33 TDS… and the dude is now a back up. Anyone and I mean anyone can throw for 5k in today’s NFL. It’s actually not a meaningful stat.

2 Likes

Winston also threw how many picks? My point is if we need Stafford to throw for 5000 yards and 40tds he has that ability, Cousins does not.

1 Like

But do you think that if we had Cousins here his whole career with the same Lions teams around him we would have won more games and playoff games?

I don’t And that is the essence of the discussion. You give us Kurt Cousins his whole career to date and nothing else changes I believe our wins go down not up

3 Likes

I’d take Staff over Cousins but they’re in the same tier. They’re both really good but not quite elite IMO.

Stafford is WAY more fun to watch though.

2 Likes

We couldn’t have won less meaningful games. That much I know. I still would take Stafford over both the others, but Cousins does have some Dawg in him. I’ll give him that. Coming from a Michigan fan, that’s not easy. Sometimes a red ass in a big moment gets it done, even if he is a bit less talented.

1 Like

No! Absolutely not. If we had Cousins instead of Stafford for their careers our win total 100% goes down.

2 Likes

No way they are in the same tier. It’s unbelievable to me people can watch Stafford and Cousins and not see a HUGE difference in talent.

2 Likes

There is a huge difference in talent. I was talking performance. From an arm talent standpoint who is more talented than Stafford? Mahomes and maybe Rodgers though I think given his age and decline Rodgers is debatable. Anyone else? Stafford doesn’t consistently get the most out of his talent. I’m a fan of his but I’m just calling it like I see it.

1 Like

I think sometimes people look at their OWN and elevate their talent just a bit. Not even joking, but there are posters here that say Stafford is better than Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Wilson. And they will go to the grave with that. Other people, and I might be one, think Stafford is only slightly above average. In the end, the answer is somewhere in between. Talent only gets you so far, then it becomes execution, learning, reading defenses, timing, ad libbing, and all the intangibles.

Ryan Leaf was super talented, just had nothing between the ears. Drew Brees is a shrimp with no legs and is a hall of famer.

1 Like

Not a homer thing at all. I have no problems admitting to superior talent. Stafford hasn’t performed for us? Lol c’mon man. It’s the exact opposite. If Stafford had his same stats but played for a team like Carolina his whole career he’d be looked at in different way. The stink that is the Detroit Lions taints people’s judgement.

2 Likes