Covid takes down Tom Dempsey

Former Saints K Tom Dempsey has died after a bout with Corona virus.
Lion fans might remember him for a then record 63 yard FG against the Lions in 1970.

https://sports.yahoo.com/legendary-nfl-kicker-tom-dempsey-dies-after-fight-with-coronavirus-134917908.html

Just watched the video of Tom Dempsey kicking the 63 yard field goal to beat the Lions in 1970.
I remember watching that game on TV. I was so P.O.'d that the Lions did not make a serious rush on the play. I didn’t realize that that kick reset the record for FG length by 7 yards. Unbelievable!
However disappointing that loss was at the time, I can appreciate Tom Dempsey and that contribution in the NFL. RIP Tom.

Alex Karras said that they didn’t even rush him, they laid down and laughed. He said, “We laughed for 62 yards…”.

2 Likes

Yea I watched that game live too. Alex Karras was laughing when they lined up. But then, I mean seriously…the dude was kicking from his own 37 yard line LOL

I often wonder why a defensive team under these circumstances doesn’t send a player with the highest vertical jump back to just under the goal post. I know it might sound a little crazy, but I think there might have been someone on that team who could have batted that ball away before it flew over the crossbar.

1 Like

They do that now

Not sure football teams back then had guys that could get above the crossbar

I thought about the fact they may not have had anyone who could jump that high. As far as people standing back under the crossbar, do you know if anyone has been successful in batting down a FG attempt that otherwise would have been successful?

I’ve never seen that but it’s not a bad idea, not sure if it’s legal though.

I have not. But I have seen guys lately back there for that in college and pros. But the kick was never close enough the times I have seen it.

But it might’ve hapoened

CJ could barely dunk the crossbar. Considering the height of the crossbar and the angle by which the ball is falling from the sky, it’s near impossible to block a FG, IMO.

The effort is at the line of scrimmage because that’s where the angle favors a block attempt. If the kicker gets too high too early, it’ll fall short. If he is trying to get too much depth, it’s going to be a low enough angle to be blocked.

1 Like

Boys, I think we just found our next ST coach! I like it
Let’s bring Mutumbo out of retirement!

1 Like

I’m sorry for him and his family. But the whole, “and he broke the NFL FG distance record with only part of his foot” narrative, as if it was a handicap instead of providing more surface area on the ball and extra power, always made me roll my eyes.

And he did it with half of a foot.

Here is a link if you want to watch the kick. I tried to stop the video just at the point the ball went over the crossbar. Hard to do. But I will say it looked like it might have cleared the crossbar by as little as a foot or so.

https://twitter.com/NFLMAVERICK

That play was my earliest realization of what my life was destined to be like as a Lions fan

2 Likes

Shame for him. Watched it live as a 14 year old. Had a feeling it was going to happen. The first of many improbable cases of bad luck for the Lions.
BTW, I just hated how excited the ref was who called it good.
Here we are 50 years later.

1 Like

[/quote]

That play was my earliest realization of what my life was destined to be like as a Lions fan
[/quote]

At least you’re “nolongerdiasappointed”.

2 Likes

[/quote]

At least you’re “nolongerdiasappointed”.
[/quote]

Exactly :slight_smile:

True about the ref I thought the same thing

Yet, with great chagrin and gloom, realize that kick, which seems ancient, was already 13 years into the drought and 8 years into the Ford ownership run.

2 Likes