Dave Birkett wins sports writer of the year award

Good for him. Well deserved!

Not to take away from his award but the competition is weak if you ask me.

2 Likes

There is competition in Detroit? Take away all of the negative imbeciles and you don’t have much left.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t a reporter covering the Lions be negative?

Good for him and agree that the competition is weak.

Regardless of how bad we’ve been I could never stomach the likes of Sharp or Monarrez. There’s a fine line between constructive criticism and being a royal prick and they hurdled that line in Olympic athlete fashion.

2 Likes

I would have given it to Tom Kowalski because even dead he is better than these guys who are alive.

5 Likes

You know it’s pretty slim pickin’s when Dave Rivers Birkett wins anything.

1 Like

I really don’t mind Mienke or Rogers.

Good for Birkett, he’s been my goto Lions reporter since Kowalski. He does a solid job.

I am going to try to be positive and just say that says a whole lot about the state of sports reporting in Michigan.

1 Like

I actually think Mienke and Rogers together made a really good team at Mlive. You can tell they worked well together and liked each other. I’m sure Rogers enjoyed his promotion to the News, but I think Rogers loses a bit of personality without Mienke, and Rogers was Mienke’s foil to keep his ego in check.

1 Like

Rob Parker deserve it

If you gave Drew Sharp (RIP) a lobotomy, you’d have Rob Parker. Thanks for bringing him up…

Reporting honestly is not naturally a negative endeavor. There were a lot of good things that happened and could be reported on. Those that go negative are taking the cheap route as fans are upset with the record. Detroit is a city that has far too many selling negativity simply to make money.

I do agree. I also like the film review Rogers does. They try to do their job well. You can tell. Mienke def has the personality though.

you would say this.