Dont’a Hightower is opting out of the 2020 season,

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Patriots’ three-time Super-Bowl champion and Pro-Bowl ILB Dont’a Hightower is opting out of the 2020 season, league sources tell ESPN. Hightower is scheduled to make $8 million in base salary. He had a baby July 16.

Patriots OL Marcus Cannon has opted out as well.

1. Wonder if any Lions players will "opt out"?

2. That's a big loss for the Patriots.

3. If an NFL player opts out, can they opt back in later?

I’d be surprised if a lot of football players opt out. They play a short career comparatively to baseball and hoops, and make less, wayyyyy less really.

1 Like

I starting to get flashbacks to 1982 brothers and sisters!! :flushed:

I’m seeing flashbacks of 1984 (the book)

6 Likes

Right!!

Dont’a has racked up 9 years in the league already. I was surprised to hear he was opting out, but I wonder how much age, wear and tear have to do with it.

Mike Reiss
@MikeReiss

Patriots safety Patrick Chung tells me that he plans to opt out of the 2020 season. He is the sixth Patriots player to do so.

The apparent spread of “I’m having a hard time imagining life without Tom Brady” syndrome”?

4 Likes

Yeah that feels like a team that’s quitting on the season. Wanna bet that BB goes in another direction next year?

1 Like

Eddie Goldman is opting out apparently.

Yikes! Chung, too?

Tanking for Trevor!

1 Like

Michael Pierce is opting out, 2 NFC North NTs now.

We will likely have guys opt out too. Every team will.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 34m

Source: #Eagles speedy WR Marquise Goodwin plans to opt-out for the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns. He has informed the team, who traded for him during the draft. Goodwin has a 5-month daughter after his wife previously had three miscarriages. Family is the most important.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

43m

#Vikings big-ticket FA DT Michael Pierce is opting out due to respiratory issues, I’m told. He’s considered to be in the high-risk category.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

· 1h

#Bills veteran DT Star Lotulelei will be taking a voluntary opt-out for this season, source says. The former first-rounder has $4.5 million fully guaranteed this season as well as $2.5 million fully guaranteed the following year. So those will push into 2021 and ‘22.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

3h

#Broncos veteran DT Kyle Peko informed the team that he is opting out due to the Coronavirus pandemic, source said. He would have provided depth in Denver.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

3h

Another opt-out of a defensive lineman: The #Texans will be without DT Eddie Vanderdoes, source said, as he plans to opt out due to the Coronavirus pandemic. He played late in the season for Houston in 2019.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

·

19h

#Cowboys veteran CB Maurice Canady is taking a voluntary opt-out for this season, source says. He appeared in 13 games with three starts last year with the #Jets and #Ravens.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Bucs submitted a notable name to the league for their reserve/COVID-19 list: Third-round RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn from Vanderbilt. One of several rookies around the league today.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

·

21h

#Seahawks OL Chance Warmack will be taking a voluntary opt-out for this season, source says. The former 10th overall pick, who sat out last season, had signed with Seattle in the spring.

I think the season is likely not going to happen anyway. It’s a long way to September.

1 Like

I think they will start, but will they finish?

No opinion on whether or not the season will happen
But this list looks like it’s going to get long

Deadline for opting out is August 3
So, many yet to come

Here a tracker for those interested.

I’m a little surprised by the rookies and UDFA who are opting out.