Drew Brees taking serious heat for comments on flag kneeling

His own teammates are calling him out and NFL players are unfriending him over his answer to a the following question.

During the interview, the Saints quarterback was asked what his thoughts were on the subject of players potentially kneeling again during the national anthem for the 2020 season.

Brees then made it very clear that he’s against that form of protest because he views it as disrespectful to the American flag.

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Brees said. “Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played, and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place.”

“Every time I stand with my hand over my heart, looking at that flag, and singing the national anthem, that’s what I think about, and in many cases, it brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed,” Brees said. “Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the '60s, and everyone, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it’s not. We still have a long way to go, but I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.”

I really don’t see what’s wrong with what he said and why those comments would get him in such hot water.

Please help me understand.

2 Likes

Listen to what Malcom Jenkins response is, maybe that will help:

here is Malcolm Jenkins video. https://t.co/wIbIIE8CAA

— Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) June 3, 2020
2 Likes

Never had an issue with anyone kneeling during our anthem, I just don’t watch it. That said I have no issue with people having issue with it for the reasons Brees stated. To each their own. I’ll never do it, nor will my children as long as they’re in k-12…

I do think had kneeling been done for 5-10 min before or after the Anthem by both teams and coaches around mid-field that the kneeling would then be supported by 95%+ of the fans and we’d have more progress and less divide.

He’s white. And im fucking done with this world.

I got a minute into it and he starts talking about his grandfathers not coming back to a heros welcome and how their history is not the same and that was enough for me. AGAIN, the history of this country is not what it is today. I’m not saying there aren’t inequalities, but Brees’s vision of the country and Jenkins’s don’t have to be the same… They both live in the NOW… 2020… It’s not 1950 anymore and we’ve come a long way, let’s keep going in the right direction and not live with hate in our hearts that’ll divide us sending us back to where we came from.

1 Like

There are much better teachers than me to help you understand. Black men and women who have actually experienced the systemic oppression that many white people think is from ‘back in the olden days’, but is alive and well in 2020.

But the easiest way to sum up this particular situation is, Brees is bringing up stupid old shit at the wrong time. When your house is burning down, you don’t bitch about your cracked windshield. I don’t know if he brought it up unprovoked or was asked a question, but either way his smartest response would have been ‘no comment.’

He’s making 50 million in the next 2 years and I’m pretty sure he could care less what anyone thinks of him. Good for him for being honest and saying what he feels. It’s America people can disagree and have different viewpoints. I served my 4 years in active duty and I have no issues with someone kneeling but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

2 Likes

You might be right, but I would venture that within 24 hours he will mea culpa. He wants a life after playing football, and his PR people know it too.

That’s why I could care less what multi millionaire athletes, actors, and politicians say. So, yes he may go back on what he said so he can be an analyst one day.

3 Likes

Time and place, man. I don’t think that anything he said is wrong. Drew is a good human being who has always been there for his community. I just think he picked a poor time to make such a statement. If he makes the exact same statement on Sept. 1st I doubt it’s a big deal.

Booger McFarland breaks it down perfectly clear. Not sure why some folks still haven’t gotten the message

1 Like

If what you do is offensive. Even though you don’t mean it to be offensive. Is it still offensive?

What Kap did was offensive to some and not others. Regardless of the message he tried to convey.

What Brees said was offensive to some and not others. Regardless of the message he tried to convey.

Why is one wrong and the other right?

I’m not trying to debate this. I really am trying to understand how we have a double standard here. I am struggling to do so. Enlighten me please.

3 Likes

The message is so clear a baby could comprehend. Kaep protest wasn’t about disrespecting the flag. He wanted to bring light to police brutality, racism and other injustices by doing a peaceful protest. Had we listened maybe Floyd is alive today.

Retired Army Green Beret Nate Boyer is the one who recommended Kaep take a knee because sitting down would be disrespectful to the flag and he didn’t want to be disrespectful. Brees is totally missing the point and I like Brees. He’s looking at the flag when the message was clearly not about the flag. This is where the disconnect comes into play

1 Like

It wasn’t offensive. It was insensitive. It was insensitive on account of the timing.

IMO its that he (and many others) still thinks that kneeling is disrespectful to the flag. Kneeling is not and has never been disrespectful (unless someone does it on someone’s neck leading to their death). Kneeling is one of the most respectful gestures there is. Some people are still pissed at Kaepernick because he was doing it. These same people conveniently forget that when he started his protest he was sitting on the bench. It was only after talking with a former Green Beret that he started kneeling instead.

2 Likes

Isn’t that for him to decide? I mean, we all feel disrespected for different reasons regardless of intent. Drew has an opinion, people have their opinions about his opinion… And everyone is looking to be angry at someone during this whole thing, it’s truly unbelievable.

It’s shit like this that makes me happy Stafford doesn’t do social media.

2 Likes

There were a lot of players who decided not to take a knee. Both black and white. And not much was said to them at that time. Brees said these same things four years ago. The timing is what makes this unique.

This isn’t about the flag. Its about Brees’ lack of support. He piled on. He said, during these times of all times, that he felt they should stand up for the flag to “show unity” and show “were ALL in this together” or it was ‘disrespectful’. But when they are hurting he piled on. There was no unity. No community with them. If anything, it proved their point.

It doesn’t make Brees’ opinion wrong per se. We don’t need to turn this into a double standard thing. Its simply enough to say sometimes when times get tough, you find out who your real friends are. And today, I think many of Brees’ teammates found out they didn’t have as good of a friend as they thought they did. It clearly upset them.

Time will tell if Brees will respond and see his error, if he is a good friend he will.

1 Like

So Drew Brees is patriotic and doesn’t support what he feels is disrespecting the flag? The problem in this country is people want to hear their opinion come out of the mouth of someone with a opposing view. It’s hard for me to take this outrage serious when people try to twist the narrative of what was actually said. If you agree with the kneeling great and if people disagree it with it they are also entitled to that opinion. This used to be America.

3 Likes

Drew Brees is 100% correct in his assumption …Colin Kapernick chose a time honored tradition of standing up and respecting the flag that represents this Country as his tool for protest by taking a knee

Kaepernick put on a show …it was a show of disrespect to the flag and what the flag represents and if standing meant you were respecting the flag…he would kneel instead …

His choice of protest was all about the FLAG and not supporting the Country … His own words were about not respecting the Flag and what it represents …

Colin Kaepernick
“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color”

The narrative changed when PR people got involved to focus on the reasons for why …but make no mistake it was about disrespecting the flag …the gesture was thought out and implemented and any time Kaepernick’s method of protest is copied and or repeated it is about disrespecting the Flag .

Don’t get it twisted