Faces of the Lions D

I’ll keep adding this as we go, but figured I’d start somewhere because if I had to do it all at once it’ll never get done.
Here we have Flowers and Kennard at the 9-tech spots and Robinson and Snacks both playing 3-techs. Jones and Davis are the off-the-ball inside linebackers.

Here’s the very next snap. Jones is still the MIKE. Kennard is still a 9-tech, though this time his hand is in the dirt. For all intents and purposes, these two snaps show the Lions’ typical 4-man front.

I don’t know what to call this. Flowers and Davis are the 9’s. Hand is the Nose and Kennard is a 5-tech.

Here’s one taking on a little more of a 3-4 feel, even though it’s only 3-3. Here we’d call Tavai the SAM, Kennard the Jack and Davis the Mike. Flowers and Robinson are 3-techs with Snacks on the Nose.

More of the 4-3 look with Tavai the Mike, Davis the Will. Snacks and Robinson inside at the 3 spots still. Flowers and Kennard on the 9’s.

3 Likes

I was expecting a meme of a guy being rushed into Emergency covered in blood.
Oops!

1 Like

From that formation that has both Tavai and Kennard on the line in a more 3-4 look, this is what can happen post-snap… Here, both of the OLB’s drop into coverage while Davis rushes. Still bringing 4, but not who it looked like might be coming.

Here’s another interesting look. Two DB’s crowd the line to cover the triple TE set. We see Tavai as a 4-3 SAM (off-the-ball covering a TE). Okwara is the 5-tech, Atkins the 1, Hand the 3 and of course Kennard is essentially the LDE (screen right) from a 2-point stance.

Tavai and Jones are the SAM and Jack. Okwara and Hand are lined up as 3-techs. Atkins on the Nose.

2 down lineman, Flowers and Hand. Kennard drops, Davis rushes. A 3-man rush that got home and forced an incompletion.

Okwara, Atkins, Hand, Kennard

Jones is the Mike. Okwara and Kennard the 9’s. Atkins and Hand the 3’s. Hand blows this up while Jones successfully sheds the Guard to fill the gap as they both tackle the runner.

I keep going because there’s so much variability from snap to snap.
Here we have Okwara and Kennard as 9’s. Hand is on the Nose (Hand is our best interior D-lineman and it’s not even close.) Tavai and Jones crowd the line but drop into coverage.

And that’s just 1 quarter of 1 game.

1 Like

For all the good feelings we may develop toward Jones after 1 period of play along the line, the next play he drops into coverage we see this:

And to keep the good feelings going on our LB’s :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Kennard ends up empty handed. Davis tries following Barkley out of the backfield, taking a deep angle. Jones needs to follow the TE on the crosser but is slow to react and is rubbed out by Davis. I’m not sure how much of this is poor execution of a play design or a busted play to begin with. Jones looks like he’s expecting to cover a zone, which makes sense. Davis looks like he’s responsible for the RB, which in this case doesn’t make sense. My guess is Davis whiffed here. (Davis begins the down standing over the Center, Kennard in his normal spot, Jones at the top of the screen.)

2 Likes

Nicely laid out depiction of our current defensive unit. The question is why can’t we get to the QB? All these formations and personal are all fine and dandy. But if the end result is first downs, it doesn’t mean a thing. Not directed to the OP at all, just my weak ass two cents.

This is part of my reasoning my wish at three is Derrick Brown (if no Young or trade down arises). Adding him to the mix with a healthy Hand and Daniels. Plus, we don’t know what we have in Bryant. He’s a run stuffer and gets penetration and will draw double teams. On paper the Dline rotation looks formidable.

On a side note, must have Slay at CB.

I agree we must have Slay.
A big reason we didn’t get to the QB is because we only had Hand for 3 games. When watching the replays, you get a feel for who the player is before even seeing the number. If he’s on the turf, it’s Robinson. If he’s held and unable to get free from a single blocker, it’s Atkins. If he’s doubleteamed and stationary, it’s Snacks. If he’s sliding across the line and playing the runner or splitting a double-team on a pass-rush, it’s Hand. If the OT is stood straight up and skating backward, it’s Flowers. If the OT is driving instead of being driven, it’s Okwara.

2 Likes

All this trickeration did was put guys in the wrong place at the wrong time, over and over.

They need more guys that are just gonna straight up beat their matchup out if the gate. Hence Young. Also they need a cover LB, hence Simmons, or Murray? later.

Problem is we need to have done what I am I didn’t and dump talent for picks. Problem is our young talent, like Davis, no one wants and certainly won’t get us a good return.

Quinn sucks.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing LB.

May I ask… Where are you getting these pictures from?

Remember his response when asked why the fan base should believe he can turn this around. He stated, “because I have a lot of confidence in myself”.

That was a really weird answer, non-answer. Possibly, he is another C-Level sociopath. :weary:

1 Like

Gamepass
Then use the snipping tool that is built into windows 10

I’m not done, by the way. Just taking a break for real life stuff.

They definitely showed a lot of different looks. Is it the lack of experience from the younger guys or injuries? It seems every week the Lions had different personnel running the defensive schemes.

Maybe it was too much info to process for these younger guys. I would hope they get better next season. Thanks for sharing. It’s always nice to have visual images.

Along the line itself I don’t think there’s too much to process. The Linebackers definitely played like they were missing a few details, though. That’s to be expected with Tavai, but it does seem like the guys are seeing teammates out of position and hesitating themselves because of it (including Jones and Davis).

The DL was just outmatched mainly due to injury. If Flowers, Hand, Daniels and Snacks were 100% all season, we’re picking in the late teens instead of #3 overall. With Hand out and our two bigs hobbled up, it impacts the whole group.