Fewer TC padded practices

Training camp intensity going way down

Lions head coach Matt Patricia gained a lot of attention—and some criticism—for the way he ran his training camp with a lot of intensity. The new CBA, however, will severely limit the way he can approach Detroit’s training camp schedule.

Per Graziano:

> There will be a limit of 16 padded practices in camp, and no more than three in a row. (The previous limit was 28, and no restrictions on consecutive days except built-in days off.) There will be a five-day “acclimation period” at the start of camp with restrictions on the types of activities permitted. After the acclimation period, players can be on the field for no more than four hours per day between their two practices, and no practice can last longer than 2.5 hours. Players are not allowed to be at the team facility for more than 12 hours in any given day, and that number decreases in subsequent seasons

It will be interesting to see how this rule change impacts the level of play in the regular seasons. With fewer padded practices, will players be physically ready for full-intensity games? Will players actually be more healthy going into the regular season, having not worn their bodies down during August?

Physical offseason contact has been trending downwards for years, and that has frustrated NFL coaches in their ability to get players game-ready for the regular season. But it’s still unclear if that will result in any visible change in quality of play.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/3/15/21180435/nfl-cba-impacts-detroit-lions

I have to think with these changes that the first month of the season will see more mistakes, blown coverages, and missed blocks and tackles. So, teams that have changed their Offense, Defense, or both could suffer through some early losses before they get their stuff together. Teams with more continuity and less player turnover might see an advantage.

One more point: these changes might add a little bit more value to keep your FAs cuz they know your system and would be less likely to screw up on game day. Unless maybe they are a screwup to begin with. But I would think the more new faces you have on your roster and on the field, the more likely it is they’ll make a mistake or react just a hair slower than somebody who played for you last year(s).

I didn’t see this in the PoD article:

Under the new deal, there will be an additional playoff term per conference starting immediately with the regular season expanding to 17 games as soon as 2021 and no later than 2023. Once the new 17-game season takes effect, padded practices during training camp will fall from 28 to 16 to attempt to accommodate player safety with the added game.

Also, (same link)

The Detroit Lions were looking at about $50 million to spend on the free-agent market, but this expansion and recent moves have that number trending higher. Detroit moved on from veterans Snacks Harrison and Rick Wagner in past weeks, which cleared more than $13 million in space.

The cap went up about $10 mil for 2020, so if it’s me I might offer a little more money to Slay and Glasgow. The next few days might be interesting to see what happens before Wednesday, which is the start of the FA signing period. Who will the Lions keep? Bear in mind, the decision is not theirs but rests with the individual players.

About that cap space, from Justin Rogers, DetNews:

*Allen Park — Now that the NFL has reached a labor agreement, the league set its 2020 salary cap at $198.2 million. *

*What does that mean for the Detroit Lions? If the franchise is hoping to bolster its roster via free agency, it has plenty of cap space to spend. *

*Here’s a quick breakdown. *

In addition to the $198.2 million, the Lions are also carrying over nearly $18 million in unused cap space from the 2019 season. That is largely offset by the team’s dead money obligations, or cap hits for players no longer on the roster.

*After cutting offensive tackle Rick Wagner on Friday, the team’s dead money ballooned close to $16 million. The majority of that amount can be attributed to Wagner ($5.8 million), defensive tackle Damon Harrison ($5 million) and safety Quandre Diggs ($3.6 million). *

*That leaves the team approximately $200 million to spend on the roster, including its upcoming draft class. *

*It should be noted, only the top-51 paid players on the roster count toward the cap during the offseason. The Lions’ roster is currently well over 51 players, and estimating the cap hit for long snapper Don Muhlbach, who re-signed with the team Saturday, the Lions have approximately $149 million committed to those 51 players. *

Now you’re looking at $50-51 million remaining in the budget. Holding back an estimated $11 million for the draft class and another $10-15 million for a rainy-day fund to cover any potential offseason injuries, or space to absorb acquiring a player in a trade, the Lions can safely spend between $25-$30 million in free agency when the market opens.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/03/15/detroit-lions-now-looking-25-30-million-available-spend-free-agents/5053871002/

Time management/organizational skills will be very important to get in as much work as possible.

While I admit to not looking at any data, it feels like they make more protective rules every year, and it also feels like there are more and more injuries every year. Are they getting players injured due to lack of conditioning? Is this stuff truly helping the safety of the game, or are they just making players softer? Honest questions…not being a smartass (though I am often times a smartass)

Based on history, will Lions Fans notice anything different on the field, early on in the season, regarding missed tackles, blown coverages, wrong routes, etc ???..Cynical or Jaded?..lol

In my view, soft players don’t last long in the NFL. So, if I were a player who is not already making buku bucks, I’d want to be a tip top shape for my next contract. At least my conditioning would be as good as I could make it.

Wonder if there are ways to work on blocking and tackling in the off-season prior to TC? Like a big ole boxer’s punching bag or something.

1 Like