Josh Gordon suspended indefinitely again

Sounds like it was more than just weed.

1 Like

Pots not physically addictive, like opiates, but I’m sure people can develop a compulsion. But what a silly dog and pony show. Who here doesn’t want to see Josh Gordon playing? He’s a talented receiver. Who cares if he uses pot - like most every other player in the NFL

1 Like

I agree with this. It’s legal in nine states and growing. Decriminalize damn near everywhere and now is a tax benefit, ala tobacco and alcohol.

1 Like

I care if a guy is so addicted to a substance that you can’t even pay him a million dollars to stay away from it for a few months. Sorry, I do. I want him to get help more than I want to see him play football.

1 Like

I’d rather not the dog and pony show. Pot should just be legal in football. Not just tacitly legal

1 Like

Its deeper than a dog and pony show. The few people that get suspended in the NFL for weed have a serious problem. They need help.

1 Like

Help for a pot ‘addiction’. Because of the devastating effects of eating too many Cheetos…

2 Likes

The man turned down a million dollars so he could smoke pot. I think whatever convoluted argument you’d like to get into here is a ship that has sailed. Beating your dick isn’t a problem either, until someone offers you a million frickin dollars to stop doing it and you still can’t stop for a little while. Then you have a problem.

1 Like

I’m not defending Gordon’s lack of self-control. I’m saying the rule is stupid. Considering the physical abuse players endure and the actual physical dependence of opiates, pot is probably a net positive for players health and quality of life and should not just be a wink-wink, ‘smoke all you want but take a few days off before you pee into a cup on this date’

Essentially we’re rewarding players for dishonesty

2 Likes

It’s the best of all worlds. They get to smoke pot, the league gets to look like they give a shit (for the fans that actually do) and we get to identify addicts and try to help them.

When weed is legal federally, I will be more than happy to change my mind. We are not there yet, and there is a reason for that. In the meantime, I think the NFL plan is brilliant.

Makes you wonder how good he could have been had that not been the case. I’m sure years from now, he’ll be wondering the same thing. That time Prince Fielder attacked that fan in the stands for his nachos is becoming a lot more understandable now though…

It’s stupid. All they need to do is not test for it. It’s not the NFLs job to police an eroding federal law

1 Like

Well, I don’t see how that is. The NFL is an employer and all players are its employees. Weed is illegal and so they, like most employers test for it. There are lots of laws I personally don’t like, and yet for the sake of not getting in trouble, I obey the laws anyway.

As an employer you aren’t mandated to test for marijuana. I have a few businesses around the world with a few dozen employees. Know how many I test for marijuana? Zero

1 Like

Can’t speak for other places, but testing in my field (product engineering) here in SE MI, is still quite prevalent.

Then’s there’s the medical end of it, proven relief for certain ailments. Just something to consider here.

1 Like

This is a common misconception. It isn’t actually true. At the end of the day someone who is struggling with addiction is going to want THEIR high, the specific drug of choice. If i had a dollar for everytime someone told me “pat, i’ll just smoke weed, I won’t do opiates anymore” I would be a millionaire. This is one of the many reasons why complete sobriety from “artificial highs” is recommended. People literally get tired of the buzz of beer or the high from weed and want to "just try my high one more time’ or get a case of the “fuck its” and say “I want my high”. Mindset. Mindset is key.

FYI I personally don’t get into the weed debate with my people. “the gateway drug” talk is silly because anything can be a gateway drug. It is all about mindset.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6140166/

2 Likes

Turning down a million dollars to smoke pot is one thing but part of the equation you’re dismissing is that he’s already worth 3 million. If he had $0 in the bank he may act differently. Stressing the word “may” haha

Aside from the two seemingly contradictory studies referenced in your paper which at best says the link is unclear, the AMA and university of GA recently published studies which support the first findings that opiate use declines when prescribed and legal marijuana is available. Anecdotally, I spend a lot of time in a state where it’s legal and I know people who successfully treat chronic pain with marijuana and CBD oil and cream. Their alternative would be opiates

From personal experience CBD helps me sleep and recover from jetlag and makes my knees ache way less than they otherwise do (20 years of brewing takes a physical toll)

1 Like

I don’t care if people say pot isn’t physically addicting…if people can’t go through life without getting high and can’t put the pipe down for millions of dollars they are addicted

It is pretty obvious

1 Like

I think people are missing my point. I’m not defending Gordon per se. I’m saying the NFL rule is dumb. These guys take significant physical abuse and put their brains at severe risk. For NFL players pot should not only be not against the rules, but prescribed.

And the fact that it’s mostly overlooked and most players smoke it anyway is silly. It just further incentivizes dishonesty between players and the league

4 Likes