Key to Lions offense

I stumbled on few recent articles with different beliefs on the key to the Lions offense in 2020.

So this begs the question. What is the Key? Which article is right?

Is it the run game, TE’s or something else entirely?

The ground game has to work. It is key. We cannot continue to be 1 dimensional. We need to be able run the ball when the down-and-distance demands it, which will only open things up on the field for when the entire playbook is open.

1 Like

You can’t truly make up for a run game imo. You can try, and several teams try pretty good I’m sure, but the run game should be the base that everything is built off of.

1 Like

I am also on board with the ground game needing to step up to force opposing D’s to be honest. I’m very encouraged by the RB we added, I’m really worried about the OL doing it’s part to make it work though.

1 Like

In Stafford’s best season he had TE’s making plays for him. Pettigrew and Scheffler combined for 10 TDs and Pettigrew had 83 receptions. This was done without a running game. So I lean towards the theory of TE’s being the key

1 Like

Health and the ability to Gel as a whole so your more productive.

Great topic and a tough one to answer. I recall a lot of Lion beatdowns when the opposing TE would just shred them. If a team does not have a defender or two to slow down a great TE it throws off the whole defense because you often need to make major adjustments to try and stop it. Now the same argument could be made for the running game but it seems most rushing attacks can be streaky and with only slight defensive adjustments a team can stop the run at some point. Tough question though. Hopefully both are churning pretty good for the Lions and the opposing D can pick their poison.

1 Like