Let’s talk safety. I like Jeremy Chinn

The Lions targeted safety in FA. Most mocks have the Lions drafting at least one safety. I think it’s obvious we could use some top end talent at DB.

The guy that fans keep saying and mocks keep projecting to us is LSU safety Grant Delpit. But I’m not a fan of his mainly due to his poor tackling issues.

The guy I like is 6’3” 222 lbs Jeremy Chinn. I think this guy has the makings to go very high in the draft. He had a great combine and was very productive too. Let’s take a closer look.

At the combine Chinn ran a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash, recorded an 11’6" long jump and a 41-inch vertical jump.

Chinn was productive in college posting up 243 tackles, 13 interceptions, 31 passes defended and six forced fumbles for SIU.

This kid can play.

For all you guys who like LB/S Simmons pass rushing ability then watch this clip of Chinn. Unfortunately SIU didn’t safety blitz much.

If you like Simmons than you should like Chinn. Personally I like Simmons but not in the top 10 and I think Chinn could go as early as late round one. But I’m seeing him as an option with our second pick.

Who do you like at Safety and why?

Why do the Lions need to draft a safety? They spent a 3rd on a safety the last 2 years, just traded for one and signed one. What is people’s obsession with not finding value on draft day?

I kinda agree with you but I also believe the Lions lack playmakers one defense. Now that Slay is gone we definitely are lacking top end talent in our DB’s.

That’s just it… This kid is value in round two. He’s a playmaker, he’s big and fast. He can blitz and create turnovers. Had he come from a bigger school I think people would be talking top 15 with this kid. He’s a small school guy and he’s under the radar some but I’ll bet you (I know your a betting man) that he goes before Delpit does in the draft.

I agree. I am thinking they have filled out their DB room except for a single CB drafted where they see the best value. Hopefully they don’t see that value in Rd 1 3OA.

I like the other kid, Dugan, in the 3rd. Sure we have some safeties, but if we play a lot of 3 safety sets, gives us a project with a lot of upside for the future.

1 Like

Agreed here
Safety seems low priority
That silly SI draft had us taking a S in 2nd and 3rd
I don’t get that in any way
I don’t think they draft a safety at all this year

Don’t see an early safety pick (except possibly Simmons).

Think we may need another CB signing before the draft, in case we wind up passing on Okudah and need a starting caliber corner, considering a mid-to-late round CB pick is unlikely to be starter-ready this year.

Here’s a guy the Jets just released, looking like a late cap casualty as they clear room for someone they’re pursuing.

Anyway, he was drafted by the Pats in round seven in 2015, so they must have thought he was a possible fit back then.

This team needs playmakers, plain and simple. Does Will Harris look like any kind of a playmaker to you?
I don’t care what round, what position, or who the player is as long as they can play.

Not sure about this Chinn kid, he might be Derwin James Jr. or he might be the next Albatross or Albacore or whatever we called that one kid.

an your all over looking Muse 4.41 safety 6’2" 227 pounds

If Delpit is there in the 2nd you take him no doubt he will be a pro bowler.He was hurt last year and it was obvious but you put his tape on from before his injury he played like a top 10 pick.I love this kid and think he will be one of the steals of the draft if he falls out of the 1st.

Walterfootball has him as the 34th ranked Safety, NFL.com has him rated as a “back-up/ special teamer”.

1. Tanner Muse, S, Clemson
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 227. Arm: 31.5. Hand: 9.
    40 Time: 4.41.
    Projected Round (2020): 6-FA.

3/14/20: In 2019, Muse recorded 50 tackles with four interceptions and three passes broken up. He was a good college player, but he has some limitations for the NFL that could be seen in an ugly performance in the ACC Championship Game versus Virginia. Muse helped himself by running fast at the combine.

6/22/19: Muse notched 53 tackles, two interceptions and four breakups in 2018. He is a competent strong safety for the college game, but he may not translate as well to the NFL. Muse totaled 57 tackles with five passes broken up in 2017. He is a strong safety type who has coverage limitations.

Methinks Muse is in the same mold as Killebrew in size and speed with a similar ceiling.

Muse showed well at the combine and he seems like a decent player …but it doesn’t seem like the real scouts think much of him.

I have seen him rated from low rd one to rd 3 I would guess rd 3 is closest an I think he goes in that rd.

He was the 2nd fastest Safety at the Combine…but scouts don’t like him. I’m thinking round 3 or later.

PROS: Booming presence who can drop down into the line of scrimmage and attack runs as he keys them developing. He’s got good anticipation to flow to the ball but he also provides effective attacks of blocks to press and extend, keeping himself clean to work through traffic and find the football. I like his tackling and he does a nice job of playing through tackle challenges. When he’s not tasked with too much turf to cover, Muse offers effective execution and is disciplined on the back-end…isn’t one to get snookered by route stems and breaks flashing across his face and forcing him to drive to an area that will leave him compromised.

CONS: I’m not really sold on his range or viable upside to play as a deep prowler – I’d imagine he’s going to have to find a role as a more traditional box safety or nickel linebacker in sub-packages if he’s going to stay on the field. Even then, his established skill in man to man coverage is questionable, he’s physical and should feasibly be able to run with tight ends, but we haven’t seen a lot of it. Further compounding his lack of range is some pretty stagnant cuts or changes of direction…he’s more quick for his size vs. being quick overall. Short area agility is an area that will leave you wanting more as a coverage option.

Of all the combine testers, Muse’s numbers made the least amount of sense to me. I mean I thought he might be decently fast in a straight line but those agility numbers didn’t match up with the tape at all. He’s really bad in coverage, but with those athletic numbers maybe you can beef him up and make him a Chase linebacker.

I’m not showing that Muse did any agility drills at the combine.

Query Results

Rk Year Player Pos Age AV School College Height Wt 40YD
▲ Vertical BenchReps Broad Jump 3Cone Shuttle Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
1 2020 Javelin Guidry CB Utah College Stats 5-9 191 4.29 21
2 2020 L’Jarius Sneed S Louisiana Tech College Stats 6-0 192 4.37 41.0 12 131
3 2020 Javaris Davis CB Auburn College Stats 5-8 183 4.39 35.5 11 124
4 2020 C.J. Henderson CB Florida College Stats 6-1 204 4.39 37.5 20 127
5 2020 Troy Pride CB Notre Dame College Stats 5-11 193 4.40 35.5 13 119 6.94 4.26
6 2020 Tanner Muse S Clemson College Stats 6-2 227 4.41 34.5 20 124

He ran it at his pro day:

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003213&DraftYear=2020

There is no way Chinn is going late round one. There is no way we should even be looking at him in round 2 or even round 3 IMO. How can you possibly be seeing him as an option with our 2nd pick? We are far enough into FA to know what our holes are likely to be and you want a guy from Southern Illinois who plays safety with our 2nd pick? Just curious, how would you rate team needs at this point? Who do I like at safety? Best one available in round 6, Geno Stone if he’s there, he’s money on 3rd down. Actually I wouldn’t take a safety in any round if we still needed a WR, OG, OT, CB, RB, DT, EDGE or LB.

1 Like

I’ll disagree and leave it at that.

Look who we took last year with our second pick. Another small school guy. Chinn is a far superior player than Tavai.

The Lions targeted a lot of safeties in FA and ended up trading for one. Obviously the Lions felt safety was a need. That’s why they targeted so many of them. Safety is a bigger need than your making it out to be.

Neither you or I are drafting … BQ/MP are and they have shown heavy interest in safeties all off-season. You may want to rethink this.

Me personally there are a ton of players I like more than several safeties in this draft. I would rather not take a safety in round 2. But unfortunately MP needs safeties because he likes to run a lot of 3 safety sets. Safety appears to be high on his list.

I kinda thought with the amount we paid Coleman that we would use a slot CB more than we do.