Lions Adjust Stafford's Contract

They converted his roster bonus for 2020 into a signing bonus to spread it out over the remainder of his contract. Frees up a 4.8 million dollars in 2020

2 Likes

Not going to pretend I ever have understood the salary cap/contracts…
But, it sounds like a good idea.

3 Likes

How much do they get back if he retires?!?! I feel dirty for even asking but it seems like this is the way it goes with this team.

2 Likes

Less, it adds 1.2 million per year down the road that’s guaranteed

3 Likes

Gives BQ and MP more money to play with next year but if Stafford doesn’t play out his contract it could effect future cap money.

1 Like

Same boat. Never cared enough to spend energy that it would take to learn it. Glad some of these dudes do, though.

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve studied it more than anyone who doesn’t get paid to do it does and I don’t see the point anymore.

It helps to get you excited for possibilities but we never know what’s going to happen

2 Likes

After watching what happened with Calvin I would have told the Lions to go to hell.

1 Like

Sounds like another step in the direction of “all in for 2020”… But who and how many want out could hurt us.

1 Like

Cool, even more freed up money to NOT pay their good players.

All the money they DIDN’T spend this year gets carried over to next year and they HAVE to spend it bc the CBA expires

1 Like

Well, no. Not exactly.
The current CBA salary cap floor is based on total cash spent over four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020; not year by year.

A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a 4 year cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required 90% percentage of the cap.

Put another way, the Lions can roll over any unused salary cap with no limitations on any given year, provided that they spend at least 90% of the salary cap for 2017 through 2020 combined as a 4-year total.

So they don’t actually have to spend all the available cash they simply have to meet the 90% over 4 year. Minimum requirement.

However, having said that in view of the fact that it’s win or get fired likely for both Quinn and Patricia then I believe they will.

3 Likes

I would expect win to burn through all of the cap money on signings and extensions as well as trade some future picks to add slots into this draft oh, because it very rightly should be win or GTFO

2 Likes

So how much do we have next year?

The point is obvious. This offseason Quinn needs as much flexibility as possible.
It’s always a pay me now pay me later game.
Quinn to-date has been very financially conservative.
We’ll see, but the expectation would be for him to be much more aggressive this offseason. Like someone said, he may even trade future draft picks this year.
They have to go all in.
You’d think anyway.

I have heard anywhere from 47 million to 64 million. Not exactly sure yet though.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/2020/

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct

2 Likes

Should have tons to spend, just hope players want to play for us.

4 Likes

We won’t be spending as much as we did this past offseason. I know everyone wants to see golladay extended, but I doubt they do that this offseason… I bet they’ll let him play out his rookie contract for the low cap number and franchise him next year if need be. They need that money to sign impact players and win games now.

2 Likes

I think BQ needs to spend or if they don’t win, then it’s good bye to BQ and MP.

2 Likes