Lions and Slay discussing extension

FWIW

3 Likes

I am glad to see this happening. Think the Lions could have a damn good secondary next year. I have been reading that DT is suppose to be a strength in the draft this year and that it could push the need for the lions down a round or two. Think the no brainer pick is CY if he falls to 3. If he is gone I personally would like to see us get Okudah. Couple that with a FA corner, maybe we turn this defense into a halfway decent unit.

3 Likes

During the season I was all for getting rid of Slay as my frustrations took over!!!

But now that I have calmed down and realize we are not a better team without him so I’m all for extending him…

4 Likes

Walker, Harris, Okudah, Slay, and Coleman would be a pretty young strong group of DBs. Slay is already a vet but he’s still in very good shape.

6 Likes

I have said already I would like to extend him 2 more years . He would be a Lion for next 3 seasons. I would still consider the CB with are first pick. But we could go DT or Edge I do like Javon Kinlaw over Brown

3 Likes

If a deal is reached I would prefer the Lions pursue someone opposite Slay in the draft rather than spend more money in FA at the position.

3 Likes

The only concern I have about Slay is that he doesn’t seem all that eager to tackle. He seems to pull back some and certainly doesn’t hit anyone with any kind of authority. Is it just me or does anyone else see this.

1 Like

Slay will likely get another 3 years at a very good rate. He is an elite CB in the league. They could sign a deal for longer with either a club option or a player option depending on who gets more in negotiation.

Good. Was beginning to think they’d fuck it up like Diggs.

Slay is a shell of his former good self. Didn’t PFF have him rated as #22 cb during the season? He is now avg so give him an avg contract or trade him. I cannot stand his huggy kissy attitude with opposing players at the end of games.

1 Like

The big deal with Slay is guaranteed money. He doesn’t have any. So if he gets hurt he pays dearly. He made almost 16M last year and is around 13M this year. The highest average for a CB is about 15M so I don’t think there is a big gap in the dollar amount he deserves and what we are paying. Give him a 3 year extension…give him a decent signing bonus, so you can reduce his base salary this year but it will be “guaranteed money”…we get to spread it out over a few years. Back end load it to inflate the numbers and make his agent look good, but allow us to move on without any major cap hit if need be 2 years out. If the guaranteed money is high enough to spread into 2021 he should be happy.

2 Likes

If we want any chance of fixing this thing in the next two season, we need to make sure that we take care of Slay. He, Coleman, and hopefully another strong corner makes us extremely solid in that regard. Just need to figure out the rest of the D.

3 Likes

Only solid If they don’t have to cover for 6+ seconds every play. Without some pressure on the QB it won’t matter who’s back there. Feel like I’m going to go blue in the face saying this. Old cliche, but you really do win in the trenches. Our front 7 was our weakness, and will continue to be so until we take action to correct it. You sure up that front 7 and that secondary will start making plays on the ball.

4 Likes

This is my biggest knock on him. He tends to shy away from tackling anyone bigger than him. Did anyone watch the Pro Bowl? He didn’t even bother to tackle the receiver and gave up a TD late in the game.

He’s sticky in coverage but I would like to see him get more physical.

This is good news. Getting rid of our best players is not the way to get better.
Win now!

You serious Clark?

3 Likes

Did anyone watch the ProBowl ? If I watched Slay make any tackle in the ProBowl he should be let go for getting in harms way… in what is the most meaningless game to ever be played , less meaningful than the 4th pre season game . Slay never has been and never will be a tackler he is a dive and ankle tackler …Just the way he should be .

1 Like

Yeah. Normally, the teams play harder in the second half/fourth quarter. It was at a crucial time when his team needed a stop and he let the receiver run by him.

But this is not only about the Pro Bowl. He tends to shy away from contact during regular season games.

PS: I know Slay doesn’t need the money but the Pro Bowl winning team will get $70,000 per player while the losing teams player gets $35,000.

Weren’t they playing 2 hand touch in the Probowl?

One great tackle is not worth 2 games missed after…Slay is a aggressive when contesting a catch , sticky as well , aggressive in making the tackle on a WR he was matched up on …a guy running at him at full speed or that he is chasing …it’s ankles at best …I’m okay with it.

1 Like