Lions sign CB Darryl Roberts

Drafted by New England in 2015… Just posting that to save the “haters” time of researching him.

4 Likes

We now have 29 CBs on the payroll. 27 of them ex-Patriots. People still want to draft another one including wasting our #3 pick on one.

1 Like

He’s got starting experience, is super athletic and fast. I don’t know much about his game, but he seems like a good fit for what we need from our CBs

From a Jets fan: “He’s really great at getting beat, then clapping like he made a play when the WR drops the ball.”

Camp fodder I’d say.

3 Likes

So much for Okudah @ 3.

Kidding.

2 Likes

I feel like that’s how 90% of people describe corners… I’m not saying this guy is good, I honestly don’t know, but every corner is burnt toast at one point or another and most fans don’t know what to look at.

3 Likes

This is actually a good point. The best corners in the game get burnt, and often look very silly in the process. It’s almost like the opposition is paid to make plays, too. Many fans struggle to evaluate CB play.

2 Likes

Snubbed by postseason senior all-star games and a spot at the 2015 NFL Combine, Roberts opened eyes and enhanced NFL prospects with an impressive performance at Marshall’s Pro Day (March 11) … At his Pro Day workout, Roberts posted a 4.36 and a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash, a 39-inch vertical leap, an 11-1 broad jump, bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times – topping all cornerbacks who were invited to the NFL Combine – and had a 4.08 short shuttle and a 6.66 three-cone drill … All-Conference USA first team cornerback in senior season, helping the Herd (13-1) to a Conference USA title, Boca Raton Bowl win and Nos. 22/23 national ranking in final polls … Made 42 career starts, No. 2 among cornerbacks in Herd history … Prospered under tutelage last two seasons by Marshall veteran defensive coordinator and secondary coach Chuck Heater … Finished career with 185 tackles (10.5 for loss) and 38 passes defended, including five interceptions … Was voted season (and bowl) co-captain by Herd teammates for 2014.

Started 20 games out of 32 in 2018-2019. Experienced depth. Rather have him than Dee “Untimely Special Teams Penalty” Virgin.

This is the 80th player under contract. If we stuck with the 9 picks we have, that would leave room for 1 UDFA.

Any ST exp.?

1 Like

He also started 5 games at safety for the Jets, so he’s versatile. At 6-0 and with speed, that sounds like a really nice backup and guy to have around. Imagine he can play special teams, too.
He’s not a young guy at 29, though. Will turn 30 in November.

His RAS score was impressive.

Starting experience…got that. Physically talented…got that. Played well? The Jets were 23rd in sacks (I don’t know how to evaluate pressure which is what I am really looking for) in 2019…but the Jets were also 12th in QB rating allowed. That is pretty good.

In 2018 the Jets were 16th in sacks and 14th in QB rating allowed. That is also pretty good.

Darryl started 20 games in that stretch for the Jets. I found this link about the 2018 season describing Roberts as one of the most improved Jets player based on his 2018 season:
" Darryl Roberts entered the 2018 season fighting for a role as the Jets dime cornerback. He was expected to be a solid special teams player with limited impact on defense serving as the team’s sixth defensive back.

However, multiple injuries to the Jets secondary forced Roberts into a starting role and he certainly made the most of his opportunity. The former 7th-round pick picked up seven pass deflections and his second career interception while earning a Pro Football Focus grade of 68.9.

While he split time between cornerback and safety, that grade was the second-highest out of all Jets cornerbacks ranking ahead of starters Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine. Only Trumaine Johnson recorded a higher PFF grade than the unheralded Roberts.

His games against the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears stand out in particular when the Marshall product filled in effectively for the injured Johnson. Against Minnesota, Roberts tallied a career-high 11 tackles including two for a loss as he was able to bounce back strongly after getting cooked by Adam Thielen early in the game.

Roberts ended up starting 10 games in total throughout the season and his versatility on defense and special teams contribution made him a very valuable player for the team. Given his backup-caliber play in his previous two seasons with the team, it was a pleasant surprise to see him perform at such a high level in 2018.

Roberts will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason and at 28-years-old, there’s no guarantee the Jets bring him back. But given his positional versatility and special teams value, this could be one of the few cases where a team should opt to re-sign an older reserve player."

This screams minor depth move and a #2 CB if we get desperate. Like Nevin Lawson light in some ways. A base line player. A guy you HOPE rookies bet out thus making the team better but not handing the keys to a young player.

Last year represented the worst in his four-year career when going by Pro Football Focus’ standards. Roberts came in with a 58.5 coverage grade, which ranked him at 88th in the league out of those with enough snaps. No Lions corner finished higher than 70th per PFF.

Roberts allowed 42 catches on 65 targets for 460 yards and four scores while in coverage. Quarterbacks enjoyed a 99.5 rating when throwing his way last season.

He does play ST BTW.

What I don’t know is whether the Jets weren’t using him to his strengths and/or whether he really ain’t that good. Did he have an injury that affected his play but wasn’t serious enough to be inactive? Sometimes a new team, new defense, and new coaching makes a difference. If the Lions draft Okudah then I think this guy will have a problem making the active roster in September, assuming they play in September. But if they don’t draft Okudah then Roberts will compete with Oruwariye to start opposite Trufant. And I would imagine they’ll draft a CB early anyway even if it’s not Okudah, if the right guy is there that they want.

He definitely fits the prototype In terms of athletic traits

Daryl Hall pondering life’s mysteries…

“Roberts you fool! You’ll never be a star with two r’s”

3 Likes

That reference is Oates school

3 Likes

So does this mean no Kirkpatrick or Ryan…? Just curious, also how do we still not know Raglands contract terms?

The only thing I can think of with re to Raglands contract is that there may still need to be a physical involved. Other than that, I can’t think of any reason why it hasn’t been reported.