Lions tendered - 2 yes and 2 no

Detroit elected not to tender McKissic, a restricted free agent who had some nice moments after being acquired by Detroit last season. He hit the open market once the new league year started at 4 p.m. today.

McKissic was used mostly as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, snaring 34 passes for 233 yards and one touchdown. He also had 38 carries for 205 yards.

Kerryon Johnson, Bo Scarbrough, Ty Johnson, Wes Hills, Tra Carson and Nick Bawden (fullback) are all under contract for next season in the backfield, and Detroit is also expected to look for another back in the middle or later rounds of the draft.

Defensive tackle Jamie Meder – affectionally known as the “Pierogi Prince of Parma” – is another restricted free agent who was not tendered by Detroit.

The Lions did tender both of their exclusive rights free agents, cornerbacks Mike Ford and Dee Virgin, which was expected. Teams have total control over ERFAs and contracts are not guaranteed, so there’s no real downside to tendering them. It’s just a matter of pushing around some paperwork.

Makes me think the Lions are going to sign an FA RB or draft one. I guess they could still bring back McKissic though, I thought the guy did okay last year.

3 Likes

I like the Kerryon-Bo tandem. I think you look to see if there’s upgrades available, but both are very cheap at this point. The guy who you really see if you can upgrade from is Ty Johnson.
He still has upside, but didn’t show a whole lot last season with a decent amount of playing time. The speed he supposedly has didn’t show up much in game situations.
Hills and Carson are just cheap insurance policies.
I see the Lions going into the season with a committee led by Kerryon, with Bo getting a regular amount of carries, one other RB (Johnson or a draft pick/cheap vet) and Bawdin at FB, but more and more NFL teams are also going toward carrying 4 RBs.

Not a lot of love around here for TyJo, which is fine cuz he really didn’t do much but it was his rookie year. Shouldn’t he catch a break for that? At least put him on the PS, he does have speed to burn.

I’m just not a fan of giving up on a guy after his rookie year unless he was that bad. I think the Lions would be smart to bring him back for year 2 and see where he’s at.

His vision was that bad.
But, he’ll get another shot this fall, though I think they’ll have competition.

1 Like

I get what what you’re saying, but we need more talent at the position. If we pick up a RB in the draft, like in the second or third round, it seems that TyJo would be the one let go.

With the help of a trade down and a 2nd rounder to burn, we pick up D’Andre Swift. Swift/KeJo/Bo/TyJo/Bawden. McKissic will not be missed.

They can always stash him on the PS. McKissic will be missed. He played the Riddick role great.

1 Like

I liked Mckissic as well. Good point on the PS option for Johnson.