NFL to propose teams could improve draft position by hiring minority coach or GM

Absolute craziness

2 Likes

Another nail in the coffin.

1 Like

Dumb.

1 Like

Since the 60s…The league has become 78% minorities. There’s no way logically, that at least a third of those guys don’t possess the knowledge scheme wise and communication wise to be coaches. So the question becomes…Why aren’t they? When we can honestly answer that question…Then, there will be a change in these numbers. Until then, make an incentive. I like it.

4 Likes

Don’t make teams hire minorities, let each coach earn their job on merit…not incentives.

3 Likes

Obviously the amount of minorities in the NFL is entirely too high (as compared to the national average). In order to be “fair”, extra draft picks should be given to teams that draft white players.

Race based policies and quotas are stupid.

13 Likes

I don’t think there will be serious consideration of this proposal. Simply by floating the idea, it has heightened awareness of impediments for minorities to reach the highest levels of management.

To implement that proposal would raise a host of other fairness issues while undermining the legitimacy of any minority candidate promoted.

1 Like

This is a stupid plan. I’d be a proponent of a policy where there is an accretive salary cap trigger if certain minority hiring metrics were met. Don’t mess with the draft though. To be honest I think the compensatory picks have already done enough to damage the imperative rebalancing role of the draft process.

1 Like

Agreed
Things get stupid sometimes but not that stupid
Easy to float something like that knowing your not going to do it

1 Like

I demand more white players!!
Chinese and Indian players too!!

3 Likes

And societies race to the bottom continues

3 Likes

I know that the Lions were scouting a RB out of New Delhi Polytechnic. He reportedly has a Sikh spin move.

8 Likes

Hindu have lots of moves

1 Like

Getting to the bathroom in time requires some fancy footwork

Did the NFL just dock me some draft position for posting that?

2 Likes

You go 0-16, Trevor Lawrence here you come, but Cincinnati gets a bump because they hired a minority. Then, the NFL would never manipulate picks like the NHL or the NBA have done. Any fucking way for the NFL to job the Lions. The Lions try to get in front of it but their minority is found to have sixty-eight percent sub-Saharan ancestry while Cincinnati’s is 63 percent sub-Saharan ancestry and 6.8 percent middle-eastern. You argue your guy has an eighth Cherokee in him but he can’t prove it in time for the draft. Oh, then there is that little thing about non-discriminitory hiring practices that you only get to break if you are hiring blacks and not whites.

I’m more liberal than many on here and even I think it’s a ridiculously stupid idea. I do think that they should do more to stimulate additional minority coaching and administration hiring but that would be a terrible way to go about it.

2 Likes

Well, now I know you’re only 95% crazy on policy :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

A highly simplistic take. First question, how many minorities WANT to be HC’s?? How many want to go be a D3 assistant for four years and work their way up? How many GM’s go well this minority is a guy who could take us to the SB, but I’m going to get this guy instead because he’s white and not as good? Because blacks want and are good at PLAYING the game, does not mean they want and are good at coaching the game at a similar rate as they play the game. I just don’t see all these minorities having great coaching success out there, wanting in the door and being shut out.

Here is the solution, EXPOSURE. When it comes to the league forcing change, this is what you do. JOB FAIR. All GM’s and Owners will be FORCED to attend a 3 day job fair after the owners meetings. They are all there anyway. All interested minority coaches REGARDLESS of their existing status as coaches for teams in the NFL can attend. IE yes Eric Bienemy can get some face time with Martha Ford.

Word is that Pittsburgh was going to hire another whitey, but when they interviewed Tomlin, he just blew them away and the rest is history. I don’t like the current “you must interview a minority” before making a hire. That is tokenism. Yes it does bring some exposure, but not nearly as much as a job fair would, where GM’s and Owners would meeting 100 prospective minority coaches over a weekend. There would be no “ticking clock” to get that phone call in with any black guy you can, so you can hire the white guy you really want to hire.

1 Like