Our RBs are just OK

We need a real game changer to fall to us in the 2nd round. One of the top three should still be on the board at pick #3 in the 2nd round. I like Taylor but don’t know if he will be BPA.

3 Likes

I agree. Any of Taylor, Ettienne or Dobbins at 35 and I’mhappy. Personally I’m not a huge Swift fan but if that’s the route we go I’ll support that as well

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even give our RB’s this much credit.

1 Like

“Our RBs are just okay”

Yes, that’s about right IMHO. The priority isn’t that we need to make them better than okay, which is not really a bad idea, but rather to fix most of the rest of the team that isn’t just okay but actually sucks. Mostly on defense. That is why drafting an RB in the 2nd would IMHO be a very stupid move. Ditto a QB.

2 Likes

I think our RB group is below average and that is largely why our run game is also below average.

The Lions were in nearly every game this year but couldn’t close them out. With a better run game this team is a divisional contender. It’s the one position that would bring the greatest return on investment.

That’s why I hope the Lions can get one of the top 4 RB’s in this draft with a 2nd round pick. (Hopefully one of many 2nd rounders after a trade down from 3)

I want to see us invest free agency money on the defense and to draft a few more offensive playmakers.

5 Likes

DOBBINS! DOBBINS! DOBBINS! …LOVE HIM.

I’ll tell you now if the Lions selected Dobbins at #3 overall I would be ecstatic & thrilled . A disgusting waste of resources?..Yes . But with the TE selection last year and he may end up being great I could not be disappointed with a RB of Dobbins caliber and versatility . This kid is special.

4 Likes

As much as I like the skill positions, and I like them just as much as everyone else. They don’t ever win us meaningful games. We’ve had some of the best skill players who have ever played the game and have nothing to show for it. Give me the big uglies in the trenches and strengthen our line backing core before worrying about anything else. Stats are nice, but wins are nicer.

2 Likes

I think a stud running back could help us win games. We need to figure out how to hold leads and close out games.

1 Like

True and we have to figure out how to get the refs to start wearing Lions underwear the way they do now with the Packers .

Not saying our running backs are great but did you see the size of the holes Tennessee was creating for Henry. Totally dominate game by the o-line. We don’t block nearly well enough to have a good running game. We need to fix that before wasting picks and continuous turn-over at the RB position in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yeah Dobbins is not only a fast mf’er but he’s also a very powerful guy. I’ve been impressed with him every time I watched OSU. The Lions need this guy. He’ll make the O-line better, and not the other way around. They’ll be motivated to block for a difference maker. Sometimes run blocking is just an effort thing. You’ve got to want it more than the other side of the line.

2 Likes

He is so dangerous , such a complete RB , his start and stopping , patience when needed, vision are stellar…He catches the ball effortlessly as well . Look at his highlights from 2018 with Haskins. WR type catches. For as fast as he is, he is even quicker than long speed fast and with his build , height & low center of gravity he is also a wrecking ball with elite contact balance …I love this kid and what he brings , I like this kid more than I liked Portis or Mixon & I loved those 2 .

2 Likes

I’m a UM fan. Tell me about it.
Haskins threw him a deep over the shoulder pass and catch against Michigan that veteran NFL WR’s would envy. I was shocked that a RB could go that deep and finish. He’s a special talent. He’s Zeke Elliot with pass catching ability.

2 Likes

Agree. We need to upgrade.

Big Uglies come first. We need upgrades @

1. DT
    2 & 3 RB & DE
  2. OT

IMO, those are the ones that should be priority, in that order. Defenses don’t have to pay, if our RBs get loose. I really wanted Drake. We could have snagged him, IR’d him, and brought him out rested with everyone else.

Need a RB with Homerun ability. Upgrade DL. Upgrade Wagner’s spot. Get badass RB. Fix rest of D as much as possible this year. Next year, really fix D and win trophies.

1 Like

Our RB group is bottom 10 in the NFL. KJ is a decent back when healthy and Mckissic is OK as a 3rd down option. Nobody else should be on the roster. I would prefer KJ as the 3rd down option and drafting Taylor in the 2nd as the starter. I would also bring in competition for the #3RB spot.

1 Like

I share your opinion of KJ. I don’t have attachment to the RB you reference, but if he’s a badass, bring him on.
I feel like Bo is a decent contributor, at least for now, as we have bigger holes to fill than his. I am completely sick of watching other NFL teams that have 2-3 backs that are better than anyone on our roster.

In the spirit of full disclosure, RB is my favorite position to watch. I didn’t have the talent for that position, when I played, but I always loved watching the good ones (especially Billy and Barry).

Pretty accurate summary. Durability was a question with KJ coming out. As in a thoroughbred, conformation is often a precursor to injury, and he is so light and leggy. Couple that with his upright style, and we are seeing what many of us feared. He has talent, and desire to be a top 1, unfortunately…
And Bo is a great situational power back. Neither strike fear in D-coordinators, I would guess

Taylor and Dobbins both have problems holding onto the ball. It’s also hard to tell how good our running game is as we faced 8 in-the-box more than any NFL team last year. I like Hubbard in the 3rd.

A RB in Rd 2 would be far more palatable if the Lions are able to trade down and pick up an extra 2d Rd pick.

3 Likes

He had over 300 carries, 2000 rushing yards and 23 TD’s. For some reason they don’t list the fumbles. I can’t find it anywhere.