Pete Schrager posed a draft trade question to Lions fans

No. 3 for Nos. 18, 26, and 39. Would you do it?

66% in the Pride of Detroit poll said “no.”

I’d say no, but Nos. 3 and 109 for Nos. 18, 26, 39, and 56, yes.

Two first rounders, three second rounders, and two third rounders? That has the potential of being better than the 49ers 1986 draft (ok, I will throw in the obligatory “if anyone but Quinn was doing the picking” for the Quinn haters).

0% chance. I would be in front of Bob Quinn’s house to have a word with him if that were to happen.

2 Likes

Nope, keep trying…

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

no.

1 Like

If it’s Jeff Okudah vs. CJ Henderson (or Diggs), Gross-Matos and Austin Jackson (or Caesar Ruiz), I take the latter.

Still have 35, 67 and 85. Blacklock, Pittman Jr and CEH.

That’s kind of my point. It would potentially be a transformative draft with that many extra picks.

It should be a transformative draft for Miami.

1 Like

Yeah, that one is tough. At about 15 you start leaving the territory of 1st round grades (even though its still the first round) and entering the territory of 2nd round grades.

No, you can’t give up the potential difference maker that you can get at the top of the draft. Dropping a few spots is fine, but 18 is too far unless it includes a young talented player already under contract.

1 Like

If they threw in Christian Wilkins I’d think about it

1 Like

In 2002, who would you rather? Joey Harrington at No. 3 overall or Ed Reed at No. 24 overall?

In 2003, was No. 5 overall Terence Newman better than No. 42 overall Charles Tillman? Both went to 2 Pro Bowls (although Tillman was also named an All Pro in 2012). I’d say no way.

In 2003, was No. 2 overall Charles Rogers better than No. 54 overall Anquan Boldin? That’s an obvious one.

There are always good/great players who don’t go in the top 15, but go in the 20-50 range instead. It’s just a matter of picking the rights ones.

3 Likes

You can find these sort of examples…but if you are picking well you should always find a better player at 3 than at 18, right?

1 Like

Except with all those extra picks, trading up from 18 to like 13 should be doable. That should net us one of the top 4 OL, Henderson, one of Kinlaw or Brown, or one of the top 3 WRs. It would probably cost one of our 2nds, but we might get a 3-4th back in return.

In theory, yes, but look at the top of the 2013 draft. Mostly busts and/or non-difference-makers.

There’s always risks, but if you don’t have Matt Millen drafting, you have a better chance of getting a perennial pro bowler at the top of the draft than at the bottom of the draft. Bottom of the 1st round can be players like Kalimba Edwards, Boss Bailey, Kevin Jones, Teddy Lehman, Shaun Cody, Daniel Bullocks, Drew Stanton, Gosder Cherilus, Jordan Dizon, Brandon Pettigrew, Louis Delmas, Jahvid Best, Titus Young, Riley Reiff, Darius Slay, Kyle Van Noy, Ameer Abdullah, Taylor Decker, A’Shawn Robinson, Jarrad Davis, Frank Ragnow, Kerryon Johnson, Jahlani Tavai. Slay was a really good pick . . Reiff, Decker, Ragnow were pretty good where drafted, After that - some were ok, but - blah

Compared to the top of the draft being - Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers, Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh.

I would take CJ, Stafford or Suh over any three guys that were drafted late first/early 2nd and big thing is we don’t have Millen drafting.

1 Like

No. You’ve given up a legit 1st round talent for 3 2nd round talents. 18 is fringe 1st/2nd round talent.

No. Players taken in that range are considered to be good prospects with potential to be great. We’re not leaving the top 6 or even 10 for that. The higher the position…the better the prospect of the player being great or even a playmaker. Example: Would you rather have Taylor Decker or Ronnie Stanley of the Ravens?

Delmas was solid 2nd rd pick, a Pro Bowl alternate a couple of times. I wouldn’t lump him in with the “blah” types

With the benefit of hindsight, Stanley.

Decker started out faster. Stanley received an overall grade of 81.1 from Pro Football Focus in 2016 and ranked as the 17th best left tackle. He received the third highest grade among all rookie offensive tackles, behind Tennessee Titans’ offensive tackle Jack Conklin and Detroit Lions’ offensive tackle Taylor Decker.

However, last season, Pro Football Focus called Ronnie Stanley “The best pass blocking tackle in the NFL”. On January 3rd 2020, Stanley was designated a First-team All-Pro.

Helps, I think, to have one of the most mobile QBs in the NFL.

1 Like

I hear you. I was simply referring to the fact that Stanley was a higher rated tackle. Decker was considered a mid-1st round prospect. It was not intended to be a hindsight post.