Rich Roll, anybody listen to his podcast?

Rich is a plant-based world class ultra athlete who has one of the best podcasts on the planet. Most of his shows are about performance, nutrition and addiction recovery (he’s a recovering alcoholic who made himself into an ultra athlete in his early 40s). Some of it maybe too hippy for most here, but he won’t waste your time if you’re interested into performance and clean eating and living. He has some of the best performance people on the show, from Tim Ferriss on down.

Probably not for everyone in terms of content, but maybe someone here will enjoy his show. The shows I posted are with two former Navy Seals. If you haven’t heard of David Goggins, you should check that one out in particular. Dude is an animal.

1 Like

Some of these dudes intrigue me. Definitely some good stuff in Goggins’s book, and loved his podcast with Joe Rogan. Depends on what your goals are. Some of these dudes are ultra productive, but also not happy people. Some of the ex seals put out great stuff, while others put out the equivalent of a personal development coloring book. Goggins is authentic. I like him. Tim Ferriss is awesome (not a seal, but an ultra interesting life-hacking MFr).

Some dudes pump out ultra-machismo “warrior” stuff that feels like they’re just making money off of the fact that they used to be a SEAL.

Lots of great stuff out there, though. Be mindful of what your goals are, when you are watching this stuff. I’m not going to model myself after anyone who is really unhappy. These guys have all achieved amazing things, and are incredibly worthy of looking into their stuff. I personally am mindful of what their intent is, for putting out the content. Also, where are they coming from/what is their driver?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good point about “successful” people who aren’t happy most of the time. It’s fine to grit through difficult times in order to achieve a goal, but if you’re unhappy as a general state, what the hell is the point? I think this is especially true for the emptiness of material success.

Rich Roll is an amazing dude. He was trapped in a job he hated (lawyer) and drank his way to oblivion. He evenutally got sober, but was still a dissatisfied, out of shape lawyer. Then he had a health scare around 40 that made him rethink his diet and exercise. He’s a very thoughtful, down-to-earth dude who’s built himself a very nice career as an athlete/health guru, with the focus on the latter as he’s moved into his 50s.

Goggins, well, is Goggins. He’s solid in every single way. Love that guy!

1 Like

SO many parallels between Goggins upbringing, and my own. Mine was a watered down version, but holy fuck could I relate. Without writing an 8 page dissertation on it :wink:

There is so much amazing material out there. I’ll check this dude out when I’m just chilling, sometime. I just have so many others that are my “go to” stuff, that I prioritize.
In the spirit of keeping it short, I’ll post one of my favorites.

1 Like

I’ve watched a bunch of Impact Theory shows. Pretty good too. The more sick I get of the 24 hour news cycle and mass media, the more I appreciate the depth and intimacy of a good podcast.

1 Like

This is 100% the sort of stuff I fill my heart/head with. Watch yourself man, you may find yourself indescribably happy, as you pick up more shifts in thinking, and tools to process your own metacognition with. This sorta shit is a very different rabbit hole.

LOVE IT!

1 Like

This is the kind of content I consume by default, have for about 15 years. I can’t explain my unhealthy willing participation in the politics thread. I think I can quit lol :joy:

1 Like