Richard Sherman didn't like culture in Detroit

Article is decent and shows different players look at different things. Patricia Haters will use this for the next year as proof he has to go.

2 Likes

I’m a self proclaimed Patricia hater, but even I think this is a non issue. We weren’t a Richard Sherman away from competing. We could have had Deion, Sherman, Revis, Polamalu and Ronnie Lott in their primes and we still wouldn’t win the division because our scheme sucks and we still played half a season without a QB because Quinn is a special kind of stupid.

Ok. Got it, surprising response…

Dynamite take. You add so much to the conversation.

1 Like

Hell, all he had to do was come on this and other boards. The culture here sucks too. But I like it and it’s entertaining.

I’m thinking Patricia will do all of the heavy lifting as far as that goes. The record will tell the story.
3 years ago, 9-7 wasn’t good enough.
I agreed then, and I agree now.

1 Like

Not surprising. No one really wants to work in a stressful environment.

2 Likes

I once worked for an asshole because he offered me a fantastic pay plan, loaded with incentives.
He had no clientele, and no published phone number. He had just bought the business. Didn’t buy the old phone number, and was too late to get the new number in the book.
He threatened my job over my numbers trying to motivate me.
I started my new job a week later.

2 Likes

Let’s see.

Born in Compton, California.
Went to Stanford Univ. in California.
Played in Seattle.
Signed with 49ers in California.

The guy has never lived anywhere but the west coast. Not wanting to move east surely had something to do with it.

4 Likes

I get it when he says he didn’t like the scheme or culture in Detroit. I mean, who does?

Where he loses me is when he speaks of the stressful environment. Lol. Like what? The least successful team in sports history being run by an Owner, President, GM and head coach that have ZERO track record of prior success? How is that stressful? Not to mention an owner and fanbase that accepts and defends failure like no other fan base. Why would that be stressful? Crazy talk. I could see New England being stressful, because they have an owner, coach and QB who DEMAND greatness, and their fans are disappointed with anything less than a Championship. In Detroit, we just want to “compete for a playoff spot”. Like, zero expectations.

1 Like

Don’t forget the chance to stick it to the Seahawks 2x per year.

2 Likes

Like I’ve been saying, we will pay a premium to get decent players to come here. It’s a never ending cycle.
Pay too much to field a half assed team and you’re never able to afford to get over the hump.

The Lions culture is shit, what fan doesn’t know that? For the people who always side with the team when a ex Lion bad mouths the franchise this article should be a wake up call.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say “never ending”. That cycle will end when we finally hire a respectable GM and head coach. Something we haven’t done in my lifetime. Players will come to play for someone they respect without needing to be overpaid.

I think it is hard to tell at this point. We had a lazy, it’s OK attitude in our locker room for years and where did that get us? Maybe disciple and hard work will pay off. Culture changes don’t happen overnight. I am ok with Patricia getting 1 more year but that is it. No excuses. He has his coaches and his players and his type players in the last couple drafts, He has an accommodating GM and a patient owner. What more could he ask for??? We better be fighting for a division title and a guaranteed playoff spot. 8-8 or less should buy him another job.
Supposedly Vrabel promised his guys he was going to be demanding and create the most physical team in the league. That doesn’t sound like a place Sherman would go either but his players responded. Different strokes for different folks.

5 Likes

Subliminal subtext from Sherman-
I want to win and not be yelled at like a rookie because I’m a grown ass man, have won before and am probably smarter than Patricia.

4 Likes

Another CB that doesn’t like Patricia defense. Say it isn’t so . I mean why would they like a defense that doesn’t emphasize the rush and expects there CB to cover forever.

2 Likes

Vrabel played for years and won Superbowls. He’s going to have a certain credibility with players Patricia is never going to have no matter what.

And that’s not a knock on Patricia, it just is what it is.

3 Likes

This is a BS thing to say. It is true of the Patriots culture but Patricia had been in Detroit for about a month or so before free agency 2018 started. Patricia was undefeated as the Lions coach and his plan and culture was not totally known at that point.

Losing Sherman might be true but we also have Flowers so this isn’t black and white at all.

It’s not black or white but this system is a CBs nightmare.