Big roster changes
One of the more understated changes in the new CBA is the impact on rosters, including the practice squad. Here’s a quick breakdown of the significant changes:
- Practice squad roster increasing from 10 to 12 immediately. Will be increased to 14 by the year 2022.
- Gameday rosters will increase from 46 to 48. Of the two extra spots, one has to be an offensive lineman.
- Twice a week, a team can promote a practice squad player to the active roster without a corresponding move to make space. Yes, that means a 55-man roster is now possible.
- Additionally, players promoted from the practice squad (to make a 55-man roster) can now be sent back down to the practice squad without the danger of being placed on waivers. That is capped at twice per player, however.
- Practice squads now have two spots for players with any amount of experience. Yes, even 10-year veterans.
I’m liking these changes.