Snacks thinking about retiring

My buddy just sent me this: anyone else seeing anything like this?

NFL source Benjamin Allbright confirming it’s true.

1 Like

Would be interesting. It’s hard to reconcile this with the amount of fight he put up last year for more money.

2 Likes

It could support the injury theory for the defense and his drastic decline. He has been playing hurt all year.

here comes Brown

1 Like

Injured as opposed to out of shape, yes.

1 Like

It do smell that way. Unless its overthought of course.

If snacks retires i would be more comfortable with a brown pick.

cap hit on a retired snacks? $5m

Brown will not be replacing Snacks. Based off Brown’s game…He’d likely take over for Robinson. I would welcome that. Very much.

:muscle:

Possibly but not for sure.
When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator. This is known as the “Barry Sanders Rule” because this is exactly how the situation played out in his case, as he was required to pay back a portion of his bonus. The difference between now and then is there was no precedent when Sanders played; now, it’s explicitly written into the CBA to allow for this arbitration.

2 Likes

What I’m seeing at OTC, is $2.5 mil in dead money and a $9.25 mil in cap savings, if he’s a post June 1 cut. Dunno how it works for a retirement. He’s got $8.5 mil in guaranteed base salary in 2020, how does he not need to pay that back? Or he hasn’t been paid that yet anyway, right?

Now we know why he struggled this year. Surgery pending.

1 Like

There are no post June 1st cuts in 2020 unless a new CBA is agreed to

It must be a pretty serious injury. This is probably why we couldn’t generate any push up the middle.

2 Likes

Another player who milked this franchise out of millions while mailing it in. That’s what happens when the shitbag owner constantly hires unqualified idiots

He didn’t mail it in, but it was shrewd nonetheless. Hold out and demand more guaranteed money while nursing injuries and questioning his ability to carry on… and we bit. We paid a crap-ton of money for DT’s that never took the field 100%. NEVER took the field at 100%.

2 Likes

Can never blame the player for extracting as much money as they can. It’s a cold business.

2 Likes

Snacks was a great acquisition last season. His presence improved the entire team defense.

1 Like