Stafford glad to have Chase Daniel as backup QB

Of course he does, because for the 12th straight year, he has no competition or anyone to push him.

1 Like

You really think the problem with the 2019 edition of the Detroit Lions was offense while Stafford was the QB?

smh

He sure wasn’t the answer. I expect Stafford to go into Arizona and do enough to beat Kyler Murray and Kliff Kingsbury in their first career games. I expect our QB to check out of a terrible goal line play against the Raiders. I expect our QB to lead this team to a winning record (he was 3-4-1 last year). I expect our QB to speak up after getting boned by the NFL yet again . I guess my expectations are too high for the “elite” QB.

2 Likes

Who said that? We won 3 out of 8 games and then 0 when he went down. Our idiot front office thinks the QB situation isn’t important.

Stafford did. The OL didn’t.

Stafford threw for 385 yards in the season-opening tie against Arizona. That was third most in the league, and a personal high since 2017. And he did it despite facing pressure more often than every starting quarterback not named Deshaun Watson.

Stafford was pressured on 47.1% of his dropbacks, and a league-high 24 times overall.

Right tackle Rick Wagner wasn’t good, allowing one sack and a league-high seven pressures. But left tackle Taylor Decker was somehow worse, allowing two sacks (both of which led to fumbles, one of which was lost) and seven pressures overall. He also committed four penalties, one of which was declined.

Out of 178 offensive linemen who played in Week 1, Decker’s pass blocking ranked 172nd according to ProFootballFocus.

3 Likes

“Of course he does, because for the 12th straight year, he has no competition or anyone to push him.”

This statement implies that if Stafford had someone to “push him,” he would perform better.

Correct. It’s called competition and it is healthy and useful in every sport and every position. However, it has been completely ignored the entire time Stafford has been here. Never had a good back up (save the Hill line). Didn’t want a QB coach. 4 coordinators get fired. Blah blah blah.

People say we can’t do better than Stafford, yet we have never for a second even tried. 12 years of just same old, same old. Not 1 year with a 100 or better rating. Not 1 meaningful win. I guess just do the same thing and hope we win the lottery. Even the Patriots have put legit backups behind the greatest QB of all time. Saints too.

You really can’t blame our success or losses on just the offense or just the defense.

That first game, our offense was great for the first half scoring 17 points and then only 7 points in the second. Our defense, great for first half, nonexistent for the 2nd half…but Stafford threw an easy interception in OT that should have won the game for Zona.

2nd game, we would have lost had the defense and special teams not put 10 points on the board.

1 Like

100 million times over and over…

Matt is not and was not the major problem… but we all need someone to blame so keep doing it if it makes you feel better…

He’s obviously also not the solution. That’s been proven 100 million times over and over…

No it hasn’t

Opinions are not facts my friend

Emotional thoughts are not fact either

Sorry but anyone who broad stokes this is wrong

4 Likes

Game 1 the last 2 seasons. Got out played by 2 rookie QBs making their very first starts. He threw like 5 picks vs the garbage Jets. Last year he started out playing well, but when crunch time hit, he went full meltdown mode again. It was reminiscent of the Dallas playoff game. Start out on fire, do nothing for the last half of the game. Plus he giftwrapped a pick 6 to AZ, but their Dback dropped the cookie. Should have lost.

People are overselling his stats for those 8 games a bit. AZ was awful and missing their entire secondary. Chargers were missing half their secondary. Eagles were missing half their team and still should have won. KC gives up 300 and 3 tds to my grandma.

I can nitpick any QB to find faults

If a QB doesn’t go 10-10 for 10TDs. He’s made a mistake somewhere…

1 Like

The only time in Stafford’s career that he had a top 10 defense, we got screwed in the wild card game with the Cowboys and we’ve never had a top 10 rushing attack. Stafford isn’t the problem

6 Likes

Stafford didn’t throw any INTs in the Arizona game. The defender didn’t make the play, so it was nothing more than incompletion.

Indeed. Nobody could have had a winning record with those 2009 and 2010 Lions squads. Not Brady, not Brees, not Rodgers. Those teams were really bad on defense, particularly in the secondary.

1 Like

True, but why?

First drive of the second half, the “great” Graham Glasgow commits a holding penalty which wipes out a 12 yard gain on 1st down and on 2d down and 14, Decker does his best impression of a turnstile and the Lions face 3rd and 21:

• 1st & 10 at DET 31

(13:27 - 3rd) K.Johnson left end to DET 43 for 12 yards (J.Hicks). PENALTY on DET-G.Glasgow, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DET 31 - No Play.

• 1st & 20 at DET 21

(13:01 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford scrambles up the middle to DET 27 for 6 yards (J.Hicks).

• 2nd & 14 at DET 27

(12:12 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford sacked at DET 20 for -7 yards (T.Suggs). FUMBLES (T.Suggs), recovered by DET-F.Ragnow at DET 22.

• 3rd & 19 at DET 22

(11:23 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short middle to J.McKissic to DET 34 for 12 yards (B.Baker).

• 4th & 7 at DET 34

(10:51 - 3rd) S.Martin punts 42 yards to ARZ 24, Center-D.Muhlbach, fair catch by C.Kirk. Penalty on ARZ-D.Gardeck, Running Into the Kicker, declined.

That drive didn’t fail because of Stafford, but because other people (two OL in particular, didn’t do their jobs.

The next drive, more of the same, ie a Decker holding penalty wiped out a 17 yard gain:

• 1st & 10 at DET 20

(9:48 - 3rd) K.Johnson up the middle to DET 18 for -2 yards (J.Hicks).

• 2nd & 12 at DET 18

(9:08 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass deep left to K.Golladay ran ob at DET 35 for 17 yards (B.Baker). PENALTY on DET-T.Decker, Offensive Holding, 9 yards, enforced at DET 18 - No Play.

• 2nd & 21 at DET 9

(8:44 - 3rd) M.Jones right end to DET 13 for 4 yards (B.Reed, J.Hicks).

• 3rd & 17 at DET 13

(8:00 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short middle to J.McKissic to DET 25 for 12 yards (T.Brock, J.Hicks).

• 4th & 5 at DET 25

(7:21 - 3rd) S.Martin punts 41 yards to ARZ 34, Center-D.Muhlbach, out of bounds.

Then after the Lions score a TD to get to 24, Bevell goes conservative in playcalling:

• 09 - 4th) Z.Gonzalez kicks 57 yards from ARZ 35 to DET 8. J.Agnew to DET 29 for 21 yards (C.Washington).
  • 1st & 10 at DET 29

(11:03 - 4th) K.Johnson up the middle to DET 33 for 4 yards (C.Jones).

• 2nd & 6 at DET 33

(10:26 - 4th) K.Johnson right tackle to DET 33 for no gain (C.Peters).

• 3rd & 6 at DET 33

(9:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short right to D.Amendola to DET 36 for 3 yards (B.Murphy).

• 4th & 3 at DET 36

(9:03 - 4th) S.Martin punts 40 yards to ARZ 24, Center-D.Muhlbach. C.Kirk pushed ob at ARZ 30 for 6 yards (W.Harris).

One would be hard pressed to point out anything Stafford did “wrong” to cause the offense to stall in those three second half drives.

1 Like

What is it I was saying about facts?!

3 Likes

You really are bad at evaluating players. You your take on Stafford is so wrong it’s almost funny.

2 Likes