“Stafford Needs Protection” 😂

2 Likes

Just look at all the BLOWN picks - PARTICULARLY on the offensive line (Ragnow’s ‘okay’ - but not a Pro-Bowler)

Ragnow was an awesome pick

5 Likes

I see four starting NFL OL on that list

3 Likes

Riley is starting LT in Minnesota who made it to the playoffs.
Laken is the starting LG for San Fran who is in the Championship game.
Decker has been a solid (but not great) starting LT.
Ragnow is a good OG.
Hock is an average blocker.

3 Likes

What did Reiff, Tomlinson do, HERE??

Pray tell…

2 Likes

My main point is, there’s guys who say “Draft Andrew Thomas @ 3”…we should not need o-line help that high, with all these previous picks…

Well now we know… there’s no protection as we have not given him any Trojans :crazy_face:!!

Reiff was probably as good here as Decker has been

1 Like

“shoulds” or “should nots” are irrelevant at this point. If we need something now, we need something now.

2 Likes

I mean we’ve had three left tackles for what 20 years? Pretty much every franchise would be ecstatic with that. Where any of them top 8 at their position? No but they weren’t chopped liver either

2 Likes

With Wagner sucking and Decker on the final year of his deal OT is a need.

But … I’m of the belief that you win games in the trenches. So you should always be developing OT’s, signing FA’s and drafting as few high in the draft as possible. (If you can help it that is) Truth is that a lot of 1st round OT’s bust. So they are high risk. The ones that don’t … struggle for 4 years and then you have to pay them big or they hit FA. Why not just sign FA’s and not suffer through the growing pains. Problem with that plan is that the Lions aren’t drafting and developing enough young talent.

Most teams OL are made up from a mixture of FA’s, Draft picks and late rounders. So I agree that we have too much capital spent on building our OL. It really should be better than it is.

If you spend too many early draft picks on OL then your team will ultimately be lacking the difference makers they could have had in (the early part) of the draft. Which is exactly where we are today.

In this Draft the Lions really need to get a difference maker for their defense. But I think we will be drafting an OG in the first 4 rounds.

1 Like

I firmly believe that had we kept RR and Warford. (Roughly the same cost we paid for Wagner and Lang) also kept Tomlinson. The Lions OL would be better off and the Lions would have had a much better team because we wouldn’t have spent draft capital on OL as much.

3 Likes

He already has 3 kids. It’s too late for him to worry about protection.

2 Likes

Reiff is Reiff. They’re looking for upgrades themselves. Decker is better.
Tomlinson may have been given up on a little early, but honestly, Dahl is better.
Ragnow is a Center that provides something we’ve not had since before Raiola, which is a blocker that does not get pushed into the QB’s lap. (also something Dahl provides)
Glasgow is shopping. Maybe he’s back, maybe not. Nobody on the team stands out as an upgrade, so they’ll likely dip into FA or the draft to replace him.
Wagner is Wagner. Much like Reiff, he’s only ~so~ good and unfortunately shows up on replays a bit too often. Crosby hasn’t shown enough to cut Wagner outright, so I’m with Air on this one, he’s likely to return.

Reiff was moderately successful. Would have been better at RT than Wagner but he wasn’t ok with that.
Tomlinson was a failed pick. Even if you do hang onto him and he’s on the team today, that’s way too long to wait for a 1st round pick to contribute.
Decker was an upgrade.
Ragnow is the best at his position of them all and fits the draft slot (bottom of the 1st).

Regardless of what was done when, you have to replace 1 guy, possibly 2.

I can agree on RR and Warford. But Tomlinson with a Lions helmet was a total disaster. He needed a change of scenery, and we needed him to go. GG, Dahl and Ragnow are way better, at least as Lions.

1 Like

I think there is a huge difference between a blue blood top 5 Tackle and a middle of the first round OL. I would prefer defense w the pick.

1 Like

I honestly think that was more on coaching. Ron Prince was a disaster and blocking got better after he was fired. Tomlinson looked better his first year in SF.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that way too
I think Decker is a level better than RR but beyond that nothing was gained by the OL moves
Woulda coulda …

Bob Quinn’s biggest fireable offenses:

1. Hiring Matt Patricia.
  2. Teez Tabor (and to a lesser extent, Jarrad Davis)
  3. Putting so much draft and free-agent capital into the offensive line, and still having a not-good offensive line.
2 Likes