The closest you came to ditching this pathetic franchise?

My kids will tell you (and anyone that will listen) about the times the Jersey, or jacket came off my back and thrown in the trash along with every piece of memorabilia that I owned. Luckily, I never did buy that silver van and put the Honolulu Blue (helmet) stripes on it, like I wanted to.:rofl:

1 Like

I told my children to pick another team, dad was from Detroit so I was all in then. If you tell yourself it’s for entertainment purposes only, it fixes a lot that is wrong.

1 Like

In 2006 after we lost to Joey Harrington and the Dolphins on Thanksgiving. I tried rooting for some other teams, but it never felt right. People talk about “wins and losses” don’t feel the same if its not the Lions…but for me the way I feel about every single play is different. I promise you I got more sheer joy out of watching Dre Bly run a fumble back for a touchdown early in a game that we ended up getting blown out 35-7 or something like that…than these bandwagon, fly by night fans have watching “their teams” win the Super Bowl. I get more joy out of a Lions 3rd down stop in a meaningless game than other fans get making the playoffs.

The 2006 season is when I hit rock bottom, but it put me in a much healthier place overall. At one point I would “live and die” Michigan State football (my alma mater). Then we lost to LA Tech with McCown at QB and that game/season also put me in a better mindset. Now my highs are still really high, but since I don’t really have expectations my lows are not very low…and the few times they are its really brief (like minutes). In short I’m in a place with both the Lions and the Spartans where I can enjoy the wins as much as I always have but the losses don’t really bother me anymore.

2 Likes

I feel ya, bro.

1 Like

Never. I bleed blue. And I expect the lions to fail. Fail always. And sometimes spectacularly.

It’s a little like the kids book, ‘the little little engine who could’ Only they (the lions) couldn’t and can’t…ever…

The lions will never be winners. But I’m ok with that. Being a fan is like a zen meditation. Frustration, glory, disappointment, anger…it’s all an illusion anyway. But there is always hope

But realistically here’s what’s going to happpen:

Ed Oliver will be DROY. Hockenson will be injured by week three and on IR by week 10. Then he will have a few more decent years prefaced every spring by feel-good wanker articles about how good he feels

Stafford will continue to suck salary cap and performing his usual inconsistent middling self while on the board here most will blame Bevell and his ‘predictable offense’

We will be ranked in the mid 20’s for our defense and also in offense. We will finish the season 6-10 and the calls for Patricia’s head will start

2 Likes

Put me in the never category.

Sundays (or whenever the Lions are on) are appointment viewing and I always been able to schedule my free time on the weekends around watching the games. I have maybe missed watching a Lions game live (in person or tv) maybe 2 or 3 times tops since I graduated from college in 98 and that was when I was in another country where I couldn’t get the game. That might sound like I am a true homer, but I will rip this franchise, players and coaches alike, when I feel they are not doing their job unlike the sheep on FB and Twitter.

1 Like

The fucking jets game this year.

Patricia spent a lot of Patriots Way capital about being the smartest guy in the room, snarkily at times…

AND GOT A TRAIN RUN ON HIM BY A ROOKIE QB AND A CAST OF TRASH SUPPORT PLAYERS.

THEN HE SAT THERE ALL GAME LONG LOOKING LIKE HE WAS A CROSS BETWEEN JIMBO C AND WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S…

He should have paid back his salary he collected to that point out of pure shame.

Biggest slice of Humble Pie with a side of STFU served since Dewey Defeats Truman…

2 Likes

Yeah, Weasel, he found out in a hurry that Matt Stafford is not Tom Brady.

I mean, in 2010, Brady threw 4 picks THE ENTIRE SEASON. Then again, Brady threw 4 picks against Buffalo in the opener in 2003. But then went on to win the SB that year.

Not sure it’s all that fair (but feel free to ignore me on this) to judge Patricia so harshly on his first day at HC. He did beat the Patriots 2 games later and they were the SB champs. And it took Schwartz 4 years to build the killer D. Mayhew and Caldwell f’d up the D pretty bad. It’s going to take a while get it right again.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but in 2008, after the Lions fell to 0-3 with their third straight blowout loss, dropping Matt Millen’s record to 31-84 with seemingly zero accountability, I was on my way to divorcing this team. And I really think I would have been able to do it.

Then Bill Ford Jr. threw us a lifeline, and shamed his clueless father into firing Millen.

1 Like