The dismantling of the Lions

Anyone besides me notice that BQ’s regime has trainwreck written all over it? He fired a HC who admittedly had plateaued at 9-7 but then craters for two years by making big whiffs on Ansah, Snacks, Daniels, Rick Wagner, under-performing draft class, dumping our best corner and signing career backups but paying them like starters.

I get trying to build a “winning culture” but how does dumping guys like Glasgow and Kennard who performed and were ‘team players’ do that amidst all your other clear leadership mistakes?

4 Likes

Oh yeah…this is a total disaster. If they win more than 3 games next season, I’ll be shocked.

Guys like Glasgow and Kennard don’t make or break things with me. But the signings they have done show to me that they don’t really have a clue what they are doing and just taking anyone who actually says yes.

2 Likes

I believe that if we do not win this year than yes he will be seen as a failure. However if they win this year I believe that we will continue to win and will have that winning culture. If we do that he will be seen as a success and everything he preached about it taking time will be true.

4 Likes

Too black a white thinking this early.

We have limited injuries to key players and stay competitive but only win six games then what?

If the season is shortened

If players throughout the season get sick and screw up the roster then what?

I don’t mind “looking” at what the future may hold but people who live in the present they thier “I know this what will happen period” glasses kills me.

I can’t predict my next shit let along the entire 16 game seasonal performance of the entire team in relationship to the other 31 teams… bejesus folks!

Love ya all but relax abit…

1 Like

I don’t see this at al. I do see Quinn playing to his head coach moving many players drafted for Caldwell’s teams. A’Shawn Robinson is gone now, Graham Glasgow is gone now, Slay is replaced by Trufant, Diggs is replaced by Harmon, Vaitai replaces maybe Wagner, Collins replaces Kennard and so on. Kennard was signed by Quinn and Patricia so this is really a straight replacement.

But we still have Marvin Jones (a stud who has excellent effort), Golladay (an incredible third rd. pick who I am sure will be extended), Ragnow Joe Dahl (drafted by Quinn) and so on.

I see it as the transformation is closer to ending from drafting for Caldwell and now working for Patricia’s schemes. In pro football this is the norm. The wheels just keep churning.

2 Likes

While the first few moves were disappointing (at least initially), they’ve redeemed themselves with Shelton, Trufant, and the Harmon trade.

2 Likes

Thanks for all these rosey perspectives. Shelton looks like a solid pickup. Trufant misses A LOT of games with injuries. Wagner was so bad that Tyrell Crosby was a clear upgrade, so I’m sure our guy from the Eagles is too. I can’t shake the feeling we’ll be working with a whole new regime a year from now…

2 Likes

We are basically down to hoping the entire draft class turns into instant All Pros in year 1. If not, this team will suck.

Maybe you can hope these recent moves have marginally helped the roster, but people forget that a lot of other teams helped themselves MUCH more. Plus, Quinn’s draft record is borderline pathetic and expecting him to get a handful of immediately impact players is not realistic.

A last place schedule and less injuries to Stafford, KJ and TJH could possibly get this team to 6 or 7 wins, but that doesn’t mean the roster is better. Most teams in the NFL fall between 6-10 wins.

2 Likes

Way, way too much “Patriot” stuff here. Stop trying to recreate what obviously worked because your head coach is the best ever. Build your own identity.

4 Likes

To be fair, Quinn does have a signature style, too. He picked up an oft-injured veteran to be a 2020 starter.

Before 2019, Trufant started 31 out of 32 games in 2017-2018,

2 Likes

Annnd the season before those he missed half the season and he’s about to be 30.

1 Like

And in his first three seasons before that he started 48 out of 48 games. A broken arm in 2019 isn’t evidence that he’s injury prone.

As for his age, he’s only 5 months older than Slay.

2 Likes

Freebird, I can cherry-pick stats too. IN 2019, Trufant missed almost half the season. In fact in the last 4 years he’s missed 30% of the games.

When I think of a guy as injury prone, I’m thinking injuries like torn ligaments and hamstrings, which tend to recur. A broken arm isn’t likely to adversely affect Trufant’s effectiveness going forward.

We will then agree to disagree.

1 Like

[quote=“SchemeTheDream, post:14, topic:4112, full:true”]
Freebird, I can cherry-pick stats too.

We are aware. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

I didn’t say he was injury-prone. I said he’s missed A LOT of games due to injury. That’s just true, as is your point that a broken arm isn’t a recurring injury. So I’ll join you in hoping he plays several full seasons at a high level for us.

The elitist buffoons in charge think talent matters less than conformity. They jettison talented players (to go thrive elsewhere) because they called a spade a spade here. Can’t have that! Need castoff journeymen yes-men! Can only pick up players from one team because we’re so myopic and so limited in our ability to evaluate talent, that’s all we can do.

On the bright side, Trevor Lawrence, come on down!

4 Likes

Are you sure they’ll draft Lawrence? He never played for the Pats! :joy:

1 Like