As mentioned in my other thread, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Bevell so far this year. A couple of notes:
- He’s far less run-focused than expected. We used empty-backfield sets against Arizona, which I really wasn’t expecting, and we’ve had more passes in general than I thought we would.
- He’s been fairly aggressive in playcalling. I was worried that we’d be looking at swing passes and short TE passes up the seam, but the passing offense has been fairly aggressive.
- He seems adaptable. We definitely did things differently in game 2 as compared to game 1, which was good to see.
Now for the concerns:
4. Our run offense has been somewhat lackluster, which is surprising. I don’t know if it’s playcalling or execution or both, but I expected better.
5. It seems like he can get too cute at times. See: quick slant in Seattle SB and our do-over 3rd down play last week. I’m sure there are other examples I’m forgetting, too, but I’m worried that he might be “too clever” on occasion. Hopefully, Game 1 got that out of his system and he’ll avoid out-thinking himself moving forward.