“Umbrella Man” ID’d?

Appears the cops know who he is. I would suspect this will not be the only agent provocateur uncovered going forward.

slap on the wrist time. I mean if they can let a guy that murdered 3 people walk like he got a DUI…??

Funny. I was told it was an idiotic idea when I suggested that he could’ve been an alt right provocateur.

2 Likes

I was told it was an idiotic idea that looting and destroying property might be a horrible idea due to optics.

I wonder if they have this guy identified for real this time. People swore they knew who he was last time.

Assuming they’ve got the right guy, perhaps he and Chauvin could be cellmates!

Umbrella Man kicked off the rioting, according to the cops. So you’ve got the two people most responsible for all of this mess, and neither of them are liberal, let alone “antifa”.

1 Like

Absolutely, positively not true. Please don’t post this kind of stuff. It really does hurt discourse in what should be an honest conversation.

3 Likes

Sorry Wes, you’re wrong buddy.

You cut off my statement… before “according to the cops.”

Here’s what the cops say:

A Minneapolis police arson investigator said the act of vandalism at the AutoZone on East Lake Street helped spark a chain reaction that led to days of looting and rioting. The store was among dozens of buildings across the city that burned to the ground in the days that followed.

“This was the first fire that set off a string of fires and looting throughout the precinct and the rest of the city,” Sgt. Erika Christensen wrote in a search warrant affidavit filed in court this week. “Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling ‘Umbrella Man,’ the protests had been relatively peaceful. The actions of this person created an atmosphere of hostility and tension. Your affiant believes that this individual’s sole aim was to incite violence.”

2 Likes

You were? It is a horrible idea for all sorts of reasons. Like most of us, I hate stuff going on with both sides. Hard not to feel despair with the state of things, but it’s always darkest before dawn.

1 Like

Well at least we know he’s not a part of the Black Lives Matter group…who gets the bulk of the blame for looting and rioting

Oh yeah, people were fired the F up for suggesting that looting was a horrible thing to do and we should be actively telling people its wrong and not to do it. “Why do you care more about a huge corporation like Target than racial justice in America!” My favorite way to explain it was to tell them to picture setting a car of fire, then jumping on the hood and raising your fist up in the air. That’s not a good thing to do, but what do the optics say? The optics match the message you are trying to send. Now picture looting. What are the optics? The optics of running out of a Target with a 65 inch TV does not in any way match the message. It just makes us look like opportunists.

My opinion is that “peaceful protests” only work as an alternative to violence. So if you never protest violently, you never really have the threat of violence, therefore peaceful protest doesn’t have the same impact. The conversation can’t be “well instead of standing for the anthem, how about I kneel?” The conversation needs to be “how about instead of setting your car on fire, I just kneel?” But in that vein, there is no place for looting and we should always denounce it.

Peaceful protests (nevermind the burning building behind me). :rofl:

Well, you misread (or didn’t read) what I said or what the cops said in the article I posted, that this dude was instrumental in sparking the violence in Minneapolis. And then you suggested I was being dishonest about it. And now you’re falling back on “violent protest is bad” when the cops say this guy is responsible for turning “relatively peaceful” protests in a riot situation. Well I agree violent protest is bad, on either side.

Anyway, I was careful in my original post to ask if Umbrella Man has been identified and posted a news report claiming so, because as you pointed out earlier the cop who was initially accused was not the guy. And these days things move so fast you have to be careful. But it appears the investigation has concluded this is the guy.

So let’s be aware that just because someone dresses in all-black does not mean they are “antifa” and you can bet there have been others doing the same thing. The biggest danger now is a major incident coming just before the election in which a black-clad rioter posing as an “anarchist” is seen committing some serious criminal act. This is a real danger. We live in interesting times.

1 Like

I’m just not an idiot. Please stop with the silly talking points, it takes away from the bigger message and makes important things lose credibility.

Let me quote myself skippy, since you failed to read it:

My opinion is that “peaceful protests” only work as an alternative to violence. So if you never protest violently, you never really have the threat of violence, therefore peaceful protest doesn’t have the same impact. The conversation can’t be “well instead of standing for the anthem, how about I kneel?” The conversation needs to be “how about instead of setting your car on fire, I just kneel?”

You have nothing to argue for in terms of what I’ve said, which honestly was very charitable with your accusing me of dishonesty, except as a salve for your ego. Talk about dishonest discourse.

Your quoting yourself does nothing to address your original error with me, coming after the fact and in response to another poster. I get it you need to be right.

You could have just said, ah, yes, okay I jumped the gun on that one. Too much to ask I guess.

1 Like

This…

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minneapolis-umbrella-man-white-supremacist-192129471.html

1 Like

You are parroting political talking points and not basing your statements on reality. You are hell bent on creating a story line that fits your agenda, with no regard for what actually happened. People were angry as hell and expressed some of that anger. Some expressed that anger better than others. That’s going to happen any time you get a large group of people together expressing themselves. Violence sometimes is a necessary evil to get people’s attention. What we can’t do is go back and try to re-write history just because you don’t like parts of what happened. We can’t paint a picture that everyone just casually strolled out there, holding hands and singing loves songs until big bad umbrella man came and personally played puppet master to thousands of protesters. Did he and people like him kick it up a notch? Absolutely. The same holds true for the random objects (like pallets of bricks people were finding). But saying that vs what you are attempting to say are two different things. One is true and a known fact, the other is dishonest and a political talking point.

This isn’t about my agenda, it’s about yours. Wes is never wrong, even when he is clearly shown to be. This isn’t about me painting any kind of picture except what actually happened in the moments before the protests turned very ugly. We have the video evidence, we have the police investigation and we have the statement by police that Umbrella’s Man’s actions were a major turning point. Nowhere did I say anybody else was not responsible for their own part in this. And everything you attribute to me just wrong. Deal with it.

A further point: history can turn on a dime, and this is important to keep in mind. The assassination of the heir to the Austria-Hungarian throne led to the horrors of WWI. It’s important that people on both sides keep this in mind, because if people think things cannot get much worse, they would be mistaken. And if further provocations of the sort that Umbrella Nazi committed occur, it’s important that both sides stand down. We can only hope. We can never know what would have happened if this creep hadn’t acted, it may well have been quite different. But one thing we have to agree on, we can’t rewrite history. And that includes when we’re just plain wrong about something like a what a fellow poster has clearly written, if we don’t like it.

1 Like

And yet here you are, trying your best to rewrite it.

:roll_eyes:

Okay Wes, this is called gaslighting and is where I get off the crazy train. Keep on keepin’ on.

So somebody that knows someone ‘knows’ who this guy is. But he shall not be named. He shall not be identified. Except by someone who still won’t say who he is…just that he is something.

And people believe what is being said about this ‘guy’ like they are following the pied piper.

I feel like i’m in the twilight zone.

They probably won’t release his name until he has been charged