Was Golden Tate better than CJ?

Calvin was phenomenal athlete and player for us but I was just thinking, who was more responsible for our late-game success and more reliable to come-up big in crunch-time for us?

Was Tate better than Calvin?

Tate was the best free agent pick up we’ve made since Dre Bly IMO. Great player, but he was definitely not better than CJ…we’re talking a top 5 player all time at his position. Tate never took over games, he was better after the catch, but he couldn’t do half of what Calvin had the ability to do… Not to mention, he benefited greatly from all the attention CJ got from opposing defenses. Not to say Calvin didn’t have his share of blunders, I can’t seem to recall Tate fumbling on the one yard line or whiffing on an onside kick.

4 Likes

No.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

how-about-no-ctmxhp

8 Likes

NOOOOOO.

Think of it this way. You are a GM drafting (having a crystal ball knowing what each would do in their career) who is your pick?

1 Like

nyet

1 Like

So let me ask this, how many walk-off TD’s did GT have? How many did CJ have?
And who was more clutch?

Negative ghost rider the pattern is full…

2 Likes

One very different type of WR from the other.

Complimented each other very well, almost like Moore and Perriman.

Nope. Gimme Calvin first. But gimme Tate second. I loved that man.

Do drops, penalties and turnovers count in the clutch? Each had a different role too. Had to rely on each unique skillset at different times depending on the situation.

In a draft, real or fantasy draft CJ is the pick. In a ‘clutch’ draft all things considered, I don’t know.

And that’s kind of my point (but maybe I didn’t articulate as well), CJ was great…but Tate might have been more clutch. CJ would drop passes in crunch time.

1 Like

For “clutch”, I have to give the nod to Tate. I really did love the way he controlled some of the defenders like he had them on a string.

1 Like

Tate was a solid player, but CJ was a superstar HOF type talent.

2 Likes

LOL!
Nice gif.

1 Like

Obviously loved 'em both. Hated that CJ turned on us, after retirement. The boys in stripes allowed so much b.s. to happen to CJ, it probably shortened his career. He was AWESOME.

Really liked Tate’s toughness. CJ was a physical freak. Tate was talented, but played clearly above what anyone would have expected from him - consistently. Beautiful stuff. Loved 'em both.

2 Likes

Doesn’t CJ still call the Detroit area his primary home? I bet Stafford is on the first flight out of town the day he is no longer a Lion. Calvin’s beef is with the team, not the city.

I miss Golden Tate in our WR group TBH .

Isn’t Calvin’s wife a TV reporter from Detroit?