… if Miami or SD will not trade with us to start?
Why pick one of the 2 QBs?:
- Because Miami and SD both need a QB and will be taking Tua and Herbert. It seems like a given at this point.
- If they try calling our bluff (that we will not take a QB), then by taking one of them we can force a draft day trade.
- Herbert is supposed to be a top 5 prospect.
Why Herbert and not Tua:
- I’m scared to death of the bust potential of Tua due to injury concerns even if he is given the green light on the hip recovery for now. Too much of a risk.
- If we ended up stuck with Herbert it could be a great thing for the team.
- Herbert is supposed to be more physically talented than any other QB in the class.
- Herbert still has things that need fixing in his game before he is a starter, but he is supposed to be close and we aren’t looking for a starter anyways.
- Would be great insurance for injury to Stafford.
- If he develops the way we like we could have a tradable asset down the road, or a good tough decision to make.
- Now might be the time for a move like this since we have a top 3 pick, and I think I trust Bevell to make a decision on if Herbert could be the guy.
But what about Stafford:
- I am a big supporter of his, and he would remain the starter.
- Herbert likely gets traded during THIS DRAFT, but if he doesn’t he is great insurance for us.
- If Stafford keeps playing at his current level for the next decade, then we trade Herbert down the road.
To be clear, I want defense at the top of this draft, but I really want the trade down and then defense.
Who likes this idea?